Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Spot

Paul Christensen, W9AC
Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas

Would like to see a CW "Spot" feature added.  Manual is good.  Manual/Auto-Spot option is even better. 

Manual operation would work like this:

While in CW mode, a right click and hold on the slice: (1) engages the sidetone; and (2) grabs the slice for movement in something like a predefined 10 Hz step.    Releasing the right click button disengages the sidetone and releases the grab for the normal TNF function.  In the alternative, a right-click engages the sidetone while also activating the mouse wheel for fine tune 10Hz steps. 

Paul, W9AC

Comments

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Exactly what we need Paul
  • NZ8J
    NZ8J Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    I'd love to see this.. Tim NZ8J
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Paul,
    Is this similar to the idea for AutoZeroBeat  for Click tuning on CW?

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_autozerobeat_on_cw_click_tune

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited February 2017

Al,

The automatic beat/spot function would be ideal for the long-term but even a manual tune function would be a welcome addition until then.

Paul, W9AC

• John AK4Z
    John AK4Z Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes, a spot function to zero beat a CW signal would be a wonderful addition.  I would no longer have to fine tune my receiver for the 400 hertz note that I prefer for CW signals. 

John AK4Z
  • DL2CC
    DL2CC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi guys, please excuse my lack of understanding, but isn't that what the waterfall display is for? I just click on a signal, then I'm zerobeat. if I'm not, I see it and use the mouse wheel to adjust.

73 Frank

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Frank,
    Depending on how accurately you click you may be close but not dead on.  The AutoZeroBeat feature would do the fine tuning for you and lock on at zero beat.  So just get close and let the software do the rest.  It would be a feature you could turn on or off.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_autozerobeat_on_cw_click_tune

This "idea" is tied for the number 1 spot currently with 68 user votes.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited May 2017
    Frank,

Often, a click on the display doesn't net the frequency with enough accuracy, especially if the op on the other end is listing in a narrow, 50 Hz bandwidth. 

Looks like this was raised three years ago.  Hopefully, we'll see this and other convenience features starting to appear in SSDR 2.0.

Paul, W9AC

• DL2CC
    DL2CC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    OK I understand that one, which makes perfect sense to me. The originally suggested solution with the sidetone not yet.

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You are right, Frank, I do that myself. If I can hear a CW station in a narrow filter, say 200Hz,
    I'm sure that he will also hear me if I transmit.

In ye olden times you had separate TX and RX (I loved that Drake line!) and you keyed the
    CW sidetone without transmitting until the sidetone matched that of the received signal.
    Then you switched to TX and you were sure that your signal matched that of the other
    station if ... yes if that station did not run away while transmitting (no PLL locks at that time). Then you had to chase him, that was very funny and I liked it very much!

With modern TRX zero beating is only necessary if you follow other methods to tune
    your CW signal, but - as I said - if you use the filter method there is no need for a spot
    function anymore (Although I would like to try it, if only for the old times long ago :-))

http://www.qsl.net/v73ns/zerobeat.html

73, Alex - DH2ID

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.