Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Skimmer

W8QB
W8QB Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
What are the correct settings to get CW Skimmer version 2 working properly with DAX IQ?  Is it really necessary to use it in combination with SDR-Bridge, or has the situation improved?

Answers

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    If you ask me the only way to run CW Skimmer is with Slice Master... it does away with all the set up challenges and, in my opinion, much easier and better than using Bridge
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for the great tip Bruce.  It took me less than five minutes to download, install and successfully launch Slice Master!
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I run it on four bands at the same time with my 6700 tried more but ran out of screen space hi hi
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited November 2018
    Both Bridge & Slice Master work fairly well ONCE I discovered that Malwarebytes was slowing CW skimmer to a crawl and showed massive distortion on the CW skimmer screen.  Would that be considered DAX IQ distrotion?? Turn off Malwarebytes and the CW skimmer is clean and moves along right smartly with accurate decode.
    Not sure who would get the help ticket, Flex or Malwarebytes?  I did try some folder exceptions within MWB, no help.
    I guess I could just leave MWB off, but it has been effective from time to time.Anyone else with MWB see that issue?
  • KF3F
    KF3F Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm seeing the same issue with MWB running. The odd thing is that if I click on one of the menu items in CW Skimmer it no longer has lag. Still looking for a fix other than disabling MWB.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I discovered the same thing. I haven’t found a way to set anything in Malwarebytes to prevent it, so MB has been disabled on the primary computer I wish CW Skimmer.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yep, same here.
  • KF3F
    KF3F Member
    edited July 2018
    Turning off the ransomeware protection in MWB resolves the CW Skimmer lag.
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    With Slicemaster, CW skimmer launches, but doesn't seem to decode anything. (I'm quite sure it's operator error, but can't figure out why) I can even hear CQ's being sent, but nothing shows on CW Skimmer's waterfall or decoder. 
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Charlie,

Click on Slice Master's status line and let the mouse hover there for a second.  You'll get a pop-up with the last few status messages.  Take a look for any that mention CW Skimmer.  It's possible that your DAX drivers need some work.  Slice Master might tell you something about that.  My guess... you might have multiple devices for each of your DAX IQ channels... just a guess though.

--Don

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hovering on the status line shows: Radio OK, Audio Input bandwidth OK, Decoding Capacity used: %10, Decoders: 20 of 22, TIn: 1user

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I tried changing the sampling rate to 96K in both CW Skimmer and DAX, but no difference. I changed it back. The radio is set (by SliceMaster) as SoftRock.

I don't have any other programs running that use the DAX output (and I think this one uses DAX IQ output, not AF)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    You need to click on DAX on the left of Smart SDR and set DAX IQ to 1 and then turn it on in the dax control panel at the bottom where it says daxIQ
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Like THIS? image
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    Yup
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Oh well....it doesn't have to be registered to work, does it? (I've got 29 days left to figure this out ....hi hi)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    Go to device manager and make sure you have a Dax IQ1 listed. My problem was i didn’t and had to do a manual uninstall of dax then a manual reinstall then all was ok
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    Not there. Its under audio inputs and outputs.
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Whoops, I mean two above that
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    Yes it is there but the the correct one is 2 lines up Dax Iq Rx1
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I don't need to select that as the Windows Default, do I?

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have the correct one selected in CW Skimmer, I think.image
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have seen similar issues (other software) also with norton. I do not have malwarebytes running but I know in symantec products you can edit the firewall, I think they call it traffic rules and this fixes a lot of the issues with applications talking to each other. Somewhat hidden...Likely there is something in malwarebytes as well that you might be able to adjust. Hope this helps!
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Being the fourth and all.. I had to take a break for burgers and dogs.  But with that out of the way...

I think this thread covers most of what needs to be said about getting CW Skimmer running.  A key point to keep in mind though is that Slice Master knows how to configure CW Skimmer for you.  If it doesnt think it can make it run properly, it wont launch it.  The one exception to this is the case where multiple DAX drivers show up with the same name.  When that happens, DAX might be sending data to one driver while CW Skimmer is listening to the other.  But since even that will work sometimes, Slice Master will only generate a warning.

Charlie, you posted a couple of screen shots of your audio devices but I didnt see the full list.  In the full list you should see only one that starts with 'DAX IQ RX 1'.  But if there are more than one Slice Master would have noticed and given you that warning.  My first reply earlier was meant to check this.  The status line I was referring with the pop-up was Slice Master's.  Your reply seemed to be talking about CW Skimmer's status line.

Since Slice Master is launching CW Skimmer we know a couple of things.  Either there are multiple DAX IQ devices or something external to both CW Skimmer and Slice Master is to blame.  

Assuming your DAX drivers are good, the problem could be the radio, the DAX control panel, or something like Malwarebytes.  If you havent already give everything a reboot, including the radio.  Then start up as little as possible but include SSDR and Slice Master. Finally, enable CW Skimmer in Slice Master and see if anything is working better. If not,  it's back to looking at virus scanner and malware prevention.  

Good luck.

--Don

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    " If not,  it's back to looking at virus scanner and malware prevention."

Don, you are a fantastic resource to everyone running Flex with Windows...thank you!

Have you given any thought to producing software for OSx?  I roam between Windows and OSx, but with the advent of Mario's latest, superb release of "xCAT" and "xDAX" used in combination with "Loopback's" OSx virtual cables I am on the verge of deleting the Windows partition altogether.  Meanwhile, it would be great if someone came out with something like CW Skimmer that runs natively on the Mac.  I would be among the first paying customers!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.