CW Skimmer

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
What are the correct settings to get CW Skimmer version 2 working properly with DAX IQ?  Is it really necessary to use it in combination with SDR-Bridge, or has the situation improved?
Photo of W8QB

W8QB

• 158 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of AH0U

AH0U

• 265 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
If you ask me the only way to run CW Skimmer is with Slice Master... it does away with all the set up challenges and, in my opinion, much easier and better than using Bridge
Photo of W8QB

W8QB

• 158 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Thanks for the great tip Bruce.  It took me less than five minutes to download, install and successfully launch Slice Master!
Photo of AH0U

AH0U

• 265 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I run it on four bands at the same time with my 6700 tried more but ran out of screen space hi hi
Photo of Chuck

Chuck

• 55 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Both Bridge & Slice Master work fairly well ONCE I discovered that Malwarebytes was slowing CW skimmer to a crawl and showed massive distortion on the CW skimmer screen.  Would that be considered DAX IQ distrotion?? Turn off Malwarebytes and the CW skimmer is clean and moves along right smartly with accurate decode.
Not sure who would get the help ticket, Flex or Malwarebytes?  I did try some folder exceptions within MWB, no help.
I guess I could just leave MWB off, but it has been effective from time to time.Anyone else with MWB see that issue?
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 579 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
I discovered the same thing. I haven’t found a way to set anything in Malwarebytes to prevent it, so MB has been disabled on the primary computer I wish CW Skimmer.
Photo of Lucas - W6AER

Lucas - W6AER

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I have seen similar issues (other software) also with norton. I do not have malwarebytes running but I know in symantec products you can edit the firewall, I think they call it traffic rules and this fixes a lot of the issues with applications talking to each other. Somewhat hidden...Likely there is something in malwarebytes as well that you might be able to adjust. Hope this helps!
Photo of KF3F

KF3F

• 15 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I'm seeing the same issue with MWB running. The odd thing is that if I click on one of the menu items in CW Skimmer it no longer has lag. Still looking for a fix other than disabling MWB.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 579 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Yep, same here.
Photo of KF3F

KF3F

• 15 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Turning off the ransomeware protection in MWB resolves the CW Skimmer lag.
Photo of Charlie Rubenstein KB8CR

Charlie Rubenstein KB8CR

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
With Slicemaster, CW skimmer launches, but doesn't seem to decode anything. (I'm quite sure it's operator error, but can't figure out why) I can even hear CQ's being sent, but nothing shows on CW Skimmer's waterfall or decoder. 
Photo of W8QB

W8QB

• 158 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
" If not,  it's back to looking at virus scanner and malware prevention."

Don, you are a fantastic resource to everyone running Flex with Windows...thank you!

Have you given any thought to producing software for OSx?  I roam between Windows and OSx, but with the advent of Mario's latest, superb release of "xCAT" and "xDAX" used in combination with "Loopback's" OSx virtual cables I am on the verge of deleting the Windows partition altogether.  Meanwhile, it would be great if someone came out with something like CW Skimmer that runs natively on the Mac.  I would be among the first paying customers!
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 446 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Thanks for the kinds words.  I'm not set up for OSx at all, but the idea is interesting.  
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 640 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
Didn't realize you were only about an hour from me Don. I'm in Brimfield for the summer on Lake Sherman.
Photo of K1DBO

K1DBO

• 446 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Welcome to Massachusetts Steve! You're a long way from home,
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 640 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
Actually we are originally from here visiting the kids and grandkids for the summer. Getting ready to jump in the RV and head up to Maine and over to Mt. Washington

Charlie Rubenstein KB8CR

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I'll check those things when I get back home from fireworks. I don't have Malware Bites, or other virus software (other than Windows' Defender). I'll check to see if there are duplicates of the IQ RX channel.

Thanks.

de Charlie KB8CR

Charlie Rubenstein KB8CR

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
And......after a reboot.....IT WORKS !! Thanks for your help.

Charlie
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 423 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Another vote for Slice Master.  Lots of options in Slice Master that can be a little over whelming but the latest version will take your skimmer spots and if you are 2.3.7 SSDR and above can send them as spots to the radio.