cw skimmer not decoding correctly

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I just completed my installation of software for my Flex 6500 on a new PC at our summer home and everything is now working EXCEPT cw skimmer, which seems to output jibberish when tuned to a nice strong signal. Am I missing something obvious here?
Photo of Les Brown

Les Brown

  • 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

  • 913 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
ensure your dax streams are set to a sample rate of 9600
If your skimmers seem off qrg, click on the pan adapter in SSDR and move back and forth.

If you used SDR bridge to make the connection (highly recommended) then review the setup doc.

If none of this works, stop and restart DAX and see if that solves it.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

  • 9186 Posts
  • 3539 Reply Likes
SDR-Bridge is not highly recommended, it is ESSENTIAL.
Photo of Lou Dietrich

Lou Dietrich

  • 75 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Also...make sure the sampling rate...in Skimmer match your DAX sampling rate....

Let us know how you make out. It should be something simple.

73

Lou N2TU
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

  • 9186 Posts
  • 3539 Reply Likes
Make sure I and Q are not swapped
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

  • 1844 Posts
  • 669 Reply Likes
Les,
Check out the "quickstart guide" here:

http://www.qrv.com/download/NN4ZZ%20CwSkimmer%20Bridge%20setup%207-Jun-2017.pdf

The CWS and SDR-Bridge setup is detailed and there are a number of troubleshooting tips.

If you find your problems is not covered or resolved, let me know and I'll add it to the guide.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
Win10
Photo of Les Brown

Les Brown

  • 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
All,  
   Thanks for your feedback. I had already followed all of the instructions before reporting the problem. I didn't respond immediately since the behaviour was intermittent. After running the radio for a few days, everything is working correctly. What is troubling is that I didn't do anything to fix the problem, which makes me worry that it will stop working again. It was just strange behaviour in that the text output from CW Skimmer was jibberish. Then it would work intermittently, now it has worked fine for the past few days. The only thing that crossed my mind was that the output stream from the radio was corrupt.
   Now that everything is working, I will venture to install SDR v2 :)