Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Skimmer in 2016 ARRL International CW Contest

mikeatthebeach .
mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Video shows 1 CW Skimmer in Action with Flex6700 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKM0AxQnqVk

Decode's over a 1000 CW signals within a few seconds all at same time with FlexRadio Server HF 6700 Transceiver during a 2016 CW Contest. 

73 Mike

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I used it during sweepstakes yesterday. Worked pretty well. I feed skimmer and the telnet cluster into an aggregator and feed all of that into N1MM+.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    CW use to be a mode that was copied in your head and when you transmitted, you used a key, paddle etc.   Now computers decode and send CW.  Why not just use RTTY, PSK or a digital mode?  I've noticed readers even being used in strait key events.  I wonder what percentage of folks on the CW portion of the bands actually even know how to copy CW any more.  I think its rather sad.  Its an era that is quickly disappearing.....
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Most users of Skimmer use it for QSO alerting, not as a substitute for the decoder between your ears. It's like the DX cluster except that it's signals you can actually hear on your antenna.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    I'll bite.

Why not just go on Facebook or Twitter and type to the whole world. Saves the cost of radios and antennas and tests and can be done while driving the car.  ;) Heck, there's even spell checkers and an Urban dictionary when you simply refuse to spell something right.

Some people have embraced the computer as a way of making their operating experience more enjoyable. I assume you are running a Flex so I'm guessing you don't have computerphobia. CW, like any communications mode, can benefit from the use of computers. Using a skimmer or cluster for DX or contesting (when permitted) is an excellent example of how well CW  remains viable in our modern world.

I suspect there are very few CW contesters or even general CW operators out there that cannot send or receive CW by ear. I also suspect there are very few that deprive themselves of operating aids when they see the benefit. I've had some excellent QSOs with other CW operators regardless of whether their key was a Keytronics keyboard or a J-38.

As for a disappearing mode, been hearing that for 30 years and can't remember a day in that time I couldn't drum up a CW QSO almost at will. I have two new ham friends that are falling over themselves to learn the code and swear next Field Day they'll be ready to dive in the deep end. One other close friend that's been around a while as no-code and busting his **** to get in on the fun. A fourth that is happy with PSK-31 only. No accounting for taste.

Enjoy CW. I think it will outlast all of us.

Kevin K4VD
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited November 2016
    I use it only as a Spotter and not in Major CW Contests and it's my RBN
    "Reverse Beacon Network" Receiver

What great is that I can use it on 6 meters while on HF Bands to Spot a 6 Meter CW Beacon to check a Band opening !

In terms of Contesting - I agree with Ria - It just a DX Spotter for me and when I am in 
    CW Contests I do it the old fashion way with my Brain 

It's interesting Technology and do not think Real CW Contester's use it in actual 
    competitions - It would be like taking a F-22 Fighter jet to a dog fight with WW1
    bi-planes !! Hi Hi !
    73 Mike
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited November 2016
    My Flex6700 and CW Skimmer is like an F-22 Fighter Jet !
    Hi ! Hi !
    73 Mike
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Ria,

With the help of W9IE I had the radio feeding the band map from Skimmer as well with N1MM.  Please would like info on how to feed both simultaneously.

My last few section mults for the sweep came from the radio in the mult sec box lit up red stating it found a sec I needed.  Way too cool!!!   WoW!

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I use WinTelnetX by K1TTT. 

Here is an article on how to use it:

http://gofrc.org/RBN/WinTelnetX_Configuration_and_Use_Instructions.pdf

For contesting I configure skimmers for my two panadapters and set them up in WinTelnetX. I also have two cluster sources, VE7CC and K3WW. You could also use RBN but I prefer local sources rather than remote. Then you set up an "RXtel" port and then point N1MM+ telnet to that. It works pretty well. 

Make sure you save your settings in a .ini file. 

- Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If you have to rely on a computer CW decoder you cannot maintain rate in a contest. That's just fact. Nobody competitive uses a CW decoder as their sole means of decoding CW. Top contesters use their brain. However I have CWGet going in the background as my "stenographer" so I can easily recall stuff that I missed so I don't ask for repeats. It comes in handy if for example I get distracted.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thank you so very much.

Unfortunately I have to fall back on those who actually know what they are doing in the network world.

I will put this info to good use.

• Robert - KV4JO
    Robert - KV4JO Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ria, I enjoy your common sense point of view and sharing suggestions from experience. I am 66 and retired this year. I have returned to the hobby and slowly getting acclimated. Been off the air for 35 years. Originally liscensed at 14. I am a new flexer with a 1500 and a 6300. I will try some of the apps mentioned on this string. Any advice, as I like CW.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Robert. I try to help where I can. :)
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Pray tell... Where did the "I/Q Recorder" software come from?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It's in Skimmer. View -> Recorder
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks - guess I gotta RTFM !

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.