CW Skimmer / DAX

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
I feel like a LID.   I  was still having CW Skimmer problems and I would check the DAX channel in the slice and it would show DAX1.   Ok how come I don't see any water fall.  Just by chance I looked at the global DAX setting on the left panel and noticed it was turned off.   I set it to channel 1 and bingo, instant water fall.   Now that is the 1st thing I check as it seems to want to reset back to none.  At least I now know what to do.  CW Skimmer / Dax is fantastic once you show it who is boss.
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 172 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 979 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Congrats! CW Skimmer is a bit tricky, but once you've got it running with SDRBridge, it is IMHO the best CW decoder out there. I usually have to click a bit around, change frequency one or twice and then it runs faultlessly. 73, Alex - DH2ID
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
There are four DAX types:
DAX audio RX
DAX audio TX
DAX audio Mic
DAX I/Q

It cam be confusing but CW Skimmer is only interested in DAX I/Q. This is the baseband signal for a (up to) 192kHz cross section of the band. On the 6300 it is less, 96kHz only. It has in phase and quadrature signals and is the type of signal that the non-signature series flex radios would use for PowerSDR. 

The rest of them are irrelevant to Skimmer.  

On the slice flag you are selecting DAX audio RX. That routes the audio from that slice.  You would use this for things like digimode software and audio recording. 

On the left side panel you are selecting DAX I/Q, which selects the I/Q signal from that panadapter.  This is what CW skimmer is interested in.  

Ria
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 172 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Thanks Ria,

I made the mistake of assuming that the slice setting was the DAX IQ setting..