Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Skimmer and SmartSDR

I tried NN4ZZ's tutorial for subject integration, but couldn't make it work. Some of it is that I don't know enough about the underpinnings of the Windows operating system, and some is that the versions have changed, and I don't know where to find things or how to enter parameters.

For example, the Telnet tab on SDR Bridge is grayed-out. I can't check the contents, but it probably means that telnet is not active. Sometimes there appears to be audio going to CW Skimmer, but it isn't the audio to which the rig is tuned. Other times, it looks like noise on CWS. The frequency shown in CWS doesn't track with the active receive slice. The DAX control panel shows the audio varying with the received audio level, and shows bits being streamed, but I don't know to where.

I'm using SmartSDR 2.3.9, CW Skimmer 2.0, SDR Bridge 1.6.4, all under Win 7 64, with a Flex 6600.

I have managed to get HRD working with SSDR, and DM780, WSJT-X and JT-Alert by following (and sometimes adapting) the videos and tutorials. The system is mostly up and running. I'm just lacking CW Skimmer, which I like to use on CW pile-ups.
Any ideas where I should look?

Thanks.

Frank
KF6E

Comments

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    i gave up using DAX and Bridge... try SliceMaster... free, works great every time automatically and very simple to install
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited September 2018
    I tried SliceMaster and couldn't make it work. I suspect I'm missing something, probably something obvious to others. I may have set something or other which is keeping it from working.

Is there a step-by-step for SliceMaster that works?
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited September 2018
    I just did the process again. Looks like it's working fine now.

Do I need to run SliceMaster every time, or just on set-up?
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, you need to run SliceMaster every time you want to run CW Skimmer.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    Once you have SM setup all you need do is start SM and Skimmer will run on its own... you can also set SM to auto run WSJT for FT8 and when you run CW, Skimmer will run by itsekfand when you set a slice to DIGU, SM will automatically run WSJT ... change the slice to CW and Skimmer will automatically come up
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited October 2019
    Got it; thanks.

It's a long way from my old DX-60B and SX-110!

Frank
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hi Frank -- glad you are up and going.  I'm still hoping that Flex will offer the option to integrate CW Skimmer directly in the SSDR program some day.  It is #3 on the user idea list by number of votes.   It would be a great option for CW users and some of the advantages are noted in the idea.  Link Below.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pfskimer_what_is_the_possibility_for_a_smartsdr_dis...

Alex (CW Skimmer Author) is working on a complete re-write of CW Skimmer ( no release date posted yet).  So another option for Flex would be to directly integrate with CW Skimmer instead of needing the 3rd party helper programs.  Maybe after the new version is released it will be easier for Flex to do this.

I've been happy with SDR-Bridge and the other features it also offers like support for more FlexControls.  And very glad Ed provides it for us and it sounds like SliceMaster is another very good option.  So what ever you use, enjoy CW Skimmer.

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You're dating yourself Frank. DX60 and SX28 here.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Don't forget to dip the plate current.

DX60A &HR10.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.