CW Skimmer and SDR-Bridge Quickstart guide Updated 6-Jun-2017

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
The quickstart guide for setting up CW Skimmer and SDR-Bridge has been updated.  Andy / KU7T has provided some setup notes and tips for using it with the Reverse Beacon Network. 

The updated version will be available on the Ed's SDR-Bridge web page soon but in the mean time you can download a copy from my web page at:

http://www.nn4zz.com/Data/NN4ZZ%20CwSkimmer%20Bridge%20setup%206-Jun-2017.pdf

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1787 Posts
  • 622 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4074 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Thanks, Al.  That cleared up a few snags I have had.

Another way Skimmer can be used.....I did it during the 160 contest a few months back:

I used a third panadapter and slice 'C' as a hidden slice for skimmer, locked it the middle of the band so that it covered all of the CW contest range, and fed that to N1MM via the telnet.

I didn't use slice C for anything other than that, and made my contacts using Slices A & B.  
I never moved slice C.  I just used the N1MM Bandmap to click on spots running "Enhanced SO2V" as Chris Tate calls it.  Both slice A & B had their own bandmap, populated by the skimmer on slice C.  I didn't have the use of Skimmer's display, or the use of the CW decoder to help copying the faster stations, but I could set it and forget it on 160.

It was an interesting operation.  It may work better with the anticipated pop-out panels.  I should be able to pop out pan/slice C, shrink it as small as possible, and hide it behind some other window where it will sit and work in silence, feeding me spots from my own rig. 

I may try this on two bands with pan/slice D the next contest.

Why do it this way?  If I did it the standard way, my skimmer was only copying part of the band when I tuned to either end of the contest band. (Unless I can get 192 Kb working).  I also didn't have trouble with the frequency reporting of the spots getting out of sync when I moved around the band.  It sometimes got confused as I tuned with the Flex Control Knob, mouse-clicks, and N1MM+ CTRL+UP/DN buttons all at the same time.  I was constantly needing to "shake" the display to get things sync'd up again. 

Your tutorial has given me some more options to try.....

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1787 Posts
  • 622 Reply Likes
Thanks Ken,
There is a new and slightly changed version of the file.  Andy sent me some new screenshots where he changed his call to a different one.  Just as a precaution so others wouldn't use it and be spotting to the RBN with his call  

The new file is dated 7-Jun-2017, and here is the updated link on my web page.  

http://www.nn4zz.com/Data/NN4ZZ%20CwSkimmer%20Bridge%20setup%207-Jun-2017.pdf

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1787 Posts
  • 622 Reply Likes
The latest version (7-Jun-2017) is now also on Ed's SDR-Bridge download page:

http://www.qrv.com/sdrbridge.html

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16