Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Receive EQ Settings

Dan KG0AQ
Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am trying to set a receive EQ setting for CW that will repeat every time I switch to CW. I have played with profiles and have not been successful. I just want to add a few db to the 500hz setting to bring out more of the CW tone. I can get the RX EQ to turn on for CW but it wont save the 500hz setting. Is this possible?  TIA!   Dan KG0AQ ..

Answers

• W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I thought the EQ was disabled in Digi & CW modes
  • Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    The RX EQ works quite well in CW. I bump up the 500hz and a little 1k and the CW signals really pop out. I just can't get it to save.
  • AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Dan,
    You can also set a "Global Profile" which will retain all of your settings including screen position, TX/RX settings and Microphone settings (EQ is this group!). Make sure your TX mode is CW. you can also set your RX bandwidth down to a very narrow range if desired. As you decrease the RX bandwidth you will also increase the processing delay a bit, so be judicious and test your settings.
    You can save multiple CW TX/RX profiles and "load" the settings as needed when operating.
    Mitch - AE2A
  • Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Mitch,

I have tried saving a global profile in CW mode but the EQ setting is not retained.  The RC EQ is turned on when saved but it all defaults to flat.

I do the narrow bandwidth trick all the time. Sometimes as low as 50hz.

I have tried the TX profiles in CW and the EQ settings are not retained there either.

Can you successfully save a profile in CW and have the RX EQ retain the setting?

I might need to "clean" up my profiles and start fresh with a default database?

I need to confirm with Flex that what I am attempting is possible before resetting everything.

Thanks for the reply,
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not yet.  I have had it on my "Wish list" for feature additions for some time.  I am still hoping that it may be added some time.  I use 500 Hz slider all the way up and all the rest all the way down with CW and a 500 Hz center frequency.  It really helps reduce operator fatigue by knocking down audio hiss in the audio amp section after the filters.... I also add NR at 15, and APF at 25 and then adjust AGC-T to improve noise ratio.  makes a killer CW setting!

Ken - NM9P
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For grins, I just saved a Global profile with RX EQ on and EQ levels adjusted, I switched to my normal Global profile, and then switched back to the CW-EQD profile and the EQ settings were retained. So yes they can be saved in a Global profile.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes, Jay, that will work as a global profile, but since I am a DX Gadfly, bouncing between modes at the whim of my spotting network, I don't like to change to a CW global profile, then call up the frequency, just to check if I can hear the rare DX, then go back to another mode....  I am hoping for a simple linkage of RX EQ to each individual mode, then I wouldn't need any global profile tricks.
  • AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Dan,
    Although you can retain the RX EQ settings (as long as you don't power-OFF), the documentation does not indicate any profile that retains the RX EQ settings. I did find that the RX Bandwidth Hi/Lo is retained in a Global Profile.So it will require some experimentation on your part to actually memorize the settings. The manual does state that you have to cycle through each band and antenna combination with the desired settings to link these to your profiles. Try setting up a Global CW profile and then setting one band and RX to CW mode and set your bandwidths in the PHNE menus. Then cycle through each band/antenna and finally save the Global Profile.I have a couple of profiles that I created to change the settings when I am using the linear and when I'm not, and also for some digital modes with DAX enabled. Each profile might use different TX Profiles or different MIC profiles as needed. I have the 6400M which in most cases I use with SmartSDR running on the PC which makes seeing and setting profiles very easy. If you are using only the 6400M on the front panel, you might wish to set things up on the PC side for you, then switch to the front panel.I did create a "Remote Headset" Global profile for when I am remoted in the radio from my laptop or iPhone.
    The Profile Manager and the different profile types give the user a lot of control and power to configure the radio for each particular operating style. But at the same time it can cause some confusion as to where to make and retain a particular setting. The best thing to do is try everything! The Global Profile uses the current settings of the TX, RX , MIC and current (when saved) window (Panadapters) configurations. you can adjust the TX and/or MIC profiles as needed and these will be recalled when the Global Profile that uses them is loaded. No need to re-save the Global unless you change one of the subordinate profile selections. Settings in the subordinate profiles are retained as long as you re-save the settings after you change them (the "*" in the appropriate drop-down means a change has NOT been saved).
    Give it a try and see how the whole system works!

Mitch - AE2A
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You're right Ken switching to a "CW" profile to trigger your CW EQ preferences does feel like to many extra mouse clicks. Why can't SmartSDR just read my mind AutoMagically?

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I concur with your assessment on the real world usability of changing global profiles on the fly. I too switch around from SSB to Digi to CW. I even tried linking CW memories to profiles in FRStack and had no luck there. On the flip side of the EQ the TX EQ settings are a breeze to invoke and save with profiles. RX EQ settings are a pain to say the least. I see NO easy way to call up CW memories and have the RX EQ settings where I want it. I now have it on my "wish list" too.  Thanks 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.