Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW only keys with breakin enabled (6600)

Options
Ray
Ray Member ✭✭
Hi all,
Just updated to 3.1.11 about a week ago and have been mostly on FT8 since, not sure if this is a cause....
In CW mode, the paddle keys the 6600 into transmitting CW only with BREAKIN enabled. When not enabled, it does key with MOX clicked (and keying the paddle). Using PTT on a mic (this activates MOX) also allows keying with the paddle. 
Dev Mgr (updated Win 8.1) shows the "P"-square-defined COM 8/108 ports working properly.
I checked the new manual; don't have a clue...
Any thoughts?
73, Ray N6HE

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    That's the way it has always worked. It doesn't mean that you have to use QSK, because you can crank in a delay to hold the rig in transmit between CW elements, or you can set the delay to 0 for full QSK. It is nice because you can key the radio with only the sidetone to set keyer speed or help to zero beat by matching your sidetone to the received pitch.

• Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Must not have been clear. Radio does not key unless breakin is selected. Without breakin selected, I'd expect CW keying with the 6600 staying in TX mode until the dropout happens per the delay setting but it doesn't; doesn't key at all.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Not so. With an external key or keyer, the radio will NOT key unless "Breakin" is enabled. With the internal CWX keyer, it ignores the "Breakin" button and keys regardless. (Unless that was changed in v.3.1.11.)
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Think of the "Breakin" button as the CW equivalent to the "VOX" button on SSB.

• Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    OK, OK, I (I think) stand corrected. I moved up from SSDR 1.something to 3.1.8, then quickly to 3.1.11; this "breakin" function seems to have changed completely. So now "break-in" now includes "semi-break-in" - and for true QSK break-in you set the delay to 0, as you said. Odd (to me), but I get it now. Thanks!!!!
    Ray
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You are welcome, Ray! Glad you have it working now. I do a lot of CW and find that I really like the way it works.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.