Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW keying speed change, Help please

Les Brown
Les Brown Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm using SmartSDR v1.9.13.89. I use DDUtil to drive my FlexControl and N1MM+ as a logging program. I don't have a WinKeyer. Until today, I happily used this combination for sending CW using the N1MM+ function keys. However, I was missing some functionality. Some functionality in N1MM+ wasn't working, like CW macros for changing CW speed within a send string, and ESM mode. After some searching, I discovered that I was using CWX macros like "F1 Cq, {CAT1ASC KY cq cwt {MYCALL};}". When I tried to use some function key files on the N1MM+ web site, which had macros like "F1 Cq,cq {MYCALL} cwt", I got an error message in N1MM+ that no CW port was configured. Furthermore,  After some searching, I realized that I had only set up one com port in SmartSDR CAT for N1MM+, specifically with port protocol CAT. I then set up a second com port of type WinKeyer according to the post that I found. After doing this, almost everything worked fine except for the following:
1) Before today, I had been using the AUX3 button on the FlexControl to increase or decrease CW speed, which worked fine. Now, it only changes the CW speed while transmitting. If I push AUX3 to increase the CW speed before transmitting, I see the change show up in the panel in SmartSDR, but when I push a function key in N1MM+ the CW speed is unchanged from what it was the last time I transmitted. However, if I use a paddle, the speed is as changed. This behaviour only happens when I load a function key file in N1MM+ that uses the latter format above (F1 Cq,cq {MYCALL} cwt). When I load a function key file with the CWX format (F1 Cq, {CAT1ASC KY cq cwt {MYCALL};}), the AUX3 button works as before, changing CW speed before I start to transmit. So, what am I missing here? The WinKeyer emulation CW speed seems to be decoupled from the paddle CW speed depending on the function file loaded in N1MM+. Is there another way I should be changing CW speed?
2) The CW macro (~) to insert a half space in a send string does nothing. Is this missing functionality in the WinKey emulation?

Les, VE3ABN

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If I remember clearly, when you use the function key format with the {CAT1ASC KY.....} in it, you are telling N1MM to send a string via the SSDR CWX routine, not the Winkeyer routine.

If this is the case, and you don't have the CWX>SYNC box checked in SSDR's Radio Setup > Phone/CW tab, then your CWX and Keyer paddle speeds will not be the same speed.  The CWX speed is controlled in the CWX setup panel.  It they are Sync'ed then changes to the CW Speed slider, or made with your AUX3 button will be reflected in the Macro-sent code.

On the other hand, a Macro/message in N1MM+ that follows the format ...(F1 Cq,cq {MYCALL} cwt... will be sent by Winkeyer emulation and the speed is controlled by Winkeyer hotkeys in N1MM.  I think there is a PgUp/PgDn shortcut in N1MM+.  I don't remember exactly what it is at the moment.  But it is in the manual and help file.

As far as your 2)...I have not used the "~" character in CW macros, so I can't help there.

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Les,

Early on there were macros to get cwx to function with N1MM, but since you have a winkeyer just rely on the winkeyer to do all the interfacing between N1MM and SSDR. There should be no need to use cwx while using N1MM.

If you have N1MM configured correctly, you should be able to command an increase or decrease in the winkeyer cw speed with the up down arrows on your keyboard. In N1MM settings, you can also define how much of an increase or decrease in speed the arrows will command i.e. 1 wpm 2 wpm etc.

For preset messages w/in N1MM via macros, the macro command for increasing the speed for a certain part of the message is as follows. Say you want to increase just the speed of cwt at the end of your cq cq {mycall} cwt macro, you would simply type the macro in the appropriate function key as follows cq cq {MYCALL} <cwt> .   <<cwt>> would be even faster. For the opposite use the following 
    >>cwt<< would send cwt at a slower speed than what the winkeyer is set at.

Finally, there are two places to configure your winkeyer in N1MM. Select the configurer tab and the first window that opens is where you will select the cw box and on that same line to the left is where you select the cat port that your winkeyer is on.  To the right of that will be the settings box. You need to select that and select the winkeyer box in that window. Also, once you initially open the configurer window, there is also a winkeyer tab. You need to select that to configure options within the winkeyer itself.

All of this is from memory because I am currently on the road for work, so it may not be exact but hopefully it will help clarify what you need to do. The online users guide for N1MM will also show what needs to be done. It also has many feature like how to save and assign macros for for specific contests etc.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.