CW in SmartSDR ?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
Is there a way to configure a CW key to work on a laptop using SmartSDR ?  Is there anyway to work work CW using SmartSDR?

Bill 
Photo of Bill  /  VA3QB

Bill / VA3QB

• 125 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9154 Posts
  • 3506 Reply Likes
That specific capability is not a feature of SmartSDR.  Although we have it in our database to investigate how to do it, but CW keying is very sensitive to latency and adding a PC in between the key and the radio will add latency.  Today you need to use CWX.
Photo of Bill  /  VA3QB

Bill / VA3QB

• 125 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Tim

I'm curious why CW works fine on the Maestro but latency is an issue on SmartSDR... ? They both should have that issue , should they not ?

Bill 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9154 Posts
  • 3506 Reply Likes
Maestro has a built-in Winkeyer (hardware keyer).
Photo of John McCabe - KD8K

John McCabe - KD8K

• 31 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Could support for an external (USB) Winkeyer be added to Smartsdr?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9154 Posts
  • 3506 Reply Likes
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1809 Posts
  • 642 Reply Likes
Hi Bill,
Here is some background on the question. It's 3 years old but has some good info about the options.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2288 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
This isn't in SmartSDR per se, but I am thinking maybe a serial port on an attached PC connected to the CW pin on the HD15 connector in the back, and maybe some software to pipe a serial port across the wire. Latency would still be an issue but I see some others like remoterig and remotehamradio.com (which uses remoterig) doing CW remotely with paddles and such. 

I have not tested this concept but until Flex decides that this capability would be something they want to incorporate, this is a theoretical alternate method. 
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1809 Posts
  • 642 Reply Likes
Hi Ria,
Here is an excerpt from the post I referenced above.   Steve indicated they plan to implement the key / paddle interface via a USB/Serial port on the device (laptop, etc) and  communication with the radio would be via the network.   This was back before Maestro so no telling if/when this will happen now. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
Win10
Photo of Stefano - W2WTZ

Stefano - W2WTZ

• 82 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I do, Bill using an USB to RS232 dongle, take dtr signal and by a photocoupler connect to pin 4 of accessory connector. Works very well. I use mixW.
Photo of Tom--W4FAS

Tom--W4FAS

• 44 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
SSDR for iOS CW Capability. I really enjoy using my iPad to operate my flex 6300 remote. SSB is great. However, trying to work CW with the iPad keyboard and CWX is awkward. I would much prefer to be able to use my CW key. Is there any plan to add this feature?
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2288 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Not that I know of. Marcus had talked about it here but there was the problem of connecting the device to the iPad.
(Edited)
Photo of Hank Wolfla

Hank Wolfla

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Anyone found a way to externally key the Smart SDR software running remotely.  Would like to tie it of other cw keying programs.  Hank K9LZJ