Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW feature requests: Message repeat timeout and CW-T frequency offset meter

IW7DMH, Enzo
IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Hello,

I don't know if they are on your to-do list, but I would like to ask anyway for the two following features:

CWX feature: it would be helpful if each memory's message could have a repeat timeout value ranging from 0="no repeat" to N="seconds before each memory message is played again"

API feature request: can you implement a new meter that can provide the frequency offset between CW tone pitch and the nearest CW tuned station?

Thank you very much.

73' Enzo
iw7dmh
10 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    your 'CWX feature' is a great idea, Enzo...

great for probing a "dead" band in beacon mode..

thanks! 73

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    not quite the same ... but I can buffer the CWX requests. If I press F1 (or click on F1) ten times I will get ten repetitions of whatever is programmed to that key. 

W7NGA  dan
    San Juan Island, Wa.
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The old powesdr code used a trailing character and maybe a one digit delay. Something like that. Prosigns were handled with a bar ahead |bt. for instance. Many ASCII chars have no cw equivalent so a lot could be done that way. One I wish we had was the ability to gang them. So maybe &1 would mean "add the first cwx line right here." Could ease informal use in contests where you are grabbing a few calls of interest and not really trying to run up a score.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    HI Enzo,
    I'm curious about how you would use this new feature:
    • API feature request: can you implement a new meter that can provide the frequency offset between CW tone pitch and the nearest CW tuned station?
    Is it to help zero beat (i.e. tune) to the signal?  

Does this idea for a AutoZeroBeat button help?

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_autozerobeat_on_cw_click_tune

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW V 1.5.0.65
    SSDR V 1.5.0.145
    Win10

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would like auto repeat option on all memories as well.  But I would like to add an additional feature:
    The ability to set a maximum number of repeats, (0 for infinity, and any other number for a limit.)  This would serve as a fail-safe late at night when I fall asleep at the keyboard while calling CQ!

Ken - NM9P
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    But Ken,  during a contest if you set a limit that ends up being too short a time , someone will steal your run frequency while you are getting a sandwich and coffee!! :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And I thought he wasn't answering me because I needed more power to get through!
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hello Al,

of course a CW-T meter could be used to implement the AutoZeroBeat button.  I miss it a lot.
    But from the software developer perspective you could do even more:

- you could implement an old style CW-Tune indicator. Also SSDR slice flag should have one of it;

- if you use SSDR with a touch screen monitor, you'll find a bit difficult zerobeating a station using your (actually my) fingers. Most of the time you need to use the mouse or the Flex Control knob for that. With a CW-T meter, SSDR could implement a special handle in the slice indicator: using that handle, you could drag the slice indicator near the station you want to tune and let the AutoZeroBeat feature do the rest. It should be helpful also in the Maestro perspective.

- I would like to implement and "Intelligent RIT" function: often I have contacts with friends in east Europe that use some kind of "dancing" transmitters. An intelligent RIT function could lock the station and go up and down with it. Once locked, you no more should worry about it.

- last, if the meter could provide the signal strength level as well, one could set a min/max thresold. A program could use that additional information to consider or ignore one signal that doesn't match that threshold. It could help a lot in pile-up or contest scenario.

I am sure there are other way to use a CW-T meter and I hope Flex Team will consider it in next SSDR API releases.

73' ENzo
    iw7dmh
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Enzo,
    Got it, and good ideas.  Hopefully FRS will implement the AutoZeroBeat idea.  It and the "FlagDrag" idea would be especially helpful in Maestro since using your fingers is not nearly as precise as a mouse.  

If I understand correctly the API approach (i.e. using a separate third party program) won't be applicable to Maestro.   My impression is that Maestro won't support loading additional programs but I could be wrong.   If my understanding is correct, those features would have to be part of SSDR to use them on Maestro. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW V 1.5.0.65
    SSDR V 1.5.0.145
    Win10

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If my understanding is correct, those features would have to be part of SSDR to use them on Maestro.

Yes, but if they are part of the open APIs each client could use them, just starting from SSDR and Maestro.

73' Enzo
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hello,

this is my personal idea of a CWX Keyer that I would like to see in SSDR.

I have implemented the following features for a very limited number of macros (only three):

- simple call: push a macro button (green led)
    - continuous call (beacon mode): hold down a macro button (yellow led)
    - immediate stop calling: push a macro button when the macro is active. You can start transmit with cw key or you can press the ESC button on your PC as well.
    - macro chaining: push one button at a time. The controller highlight the macro that is running at the moment.

After this experience I have another API feature request:

- at the moment the erase and sent status messages return only the characterId. Updating the Gui would be smarter if the same messages could return the macroId.

Here is the keyer in action (sorry for the poor audio).

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.