Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW CWX and 1.4

Paul Christensen, W9AC
Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

CW just keeps getting better.  T/R transitions are exceptionally smooth - even better than before.  Just tried CWX over LAN with no other add-ons I'm used to.  Wow!   N5AC and his team really understand the difficulties of remote CW.

Subtle changes as well to the CW rise/fall envelope.

Paul, W9AC 

Comments

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Paul. Are you still hearing random pops when transmitting? I think it has improved but not quiet perfect.  Auto Notch is still totally distorted. Amazing. 
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The CW rise time was changed to 8ms below 31wpm, and 6ms above. This give IMHO a perfect CW waveform. Also the QSK has been improved to not only a technical, but an operationally practical perfection.

There's no comparison to Flex 6000 QSK!

73 Ed W2RF
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't have any random pops or pops of any kind. More information please?
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ed analyzed the waveforms during the Alpha and posted it to the alpha group.  I saved the images because of how beautiful they looked.

Works of art!

Internal Iambic at 50WPM

Internal Iambic at 25WPM
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016

Steve,

So far, no pops or clicks heard on my 6700 in either local or LAN mode.

Ed,

Tnx for taking CW measurements.  it's good that the Alpha team has you on board!  I noticed that the ramp time decayed slightly and that's confirmed with your feedback. 

I would not ramp any slower than it is now.  Possibly it was changed to better work with T/R transitions over LAN and WAN?  Otherwise, as long as a Gaussian (raised cosine) curve is preserved and is not in any way limited by internal ALC, CW transmit bandwidth is not much of an issue at any reasonable CW speed, even with the old rise/decay time of V1.38.    We should be concerned much more about the shape of the keyed envelope and less about how long it takes for the envelope to ramp up and down.

Paul, W9AC

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    i like this also !!

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    making CWX and the regular internal keyer speeds the same is also very nice, IMHO..

The CWX 'sync' option in radio setup does the trick nicely...and also can keep the 2 speeds separate, if desired...sweet !!
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If you use an external keyer and want the harder rise time set the internal keyer to  31 or greater  wpm  if you want softer 30 or less

W9OY  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The complaint from the "great unwashed" was that the CW Signal as shown by the QST article Figure 5  was quite WIDE compared to the K3...

Any chance someone can run a spectral display for the new CW signals to see if they have improved???
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    edited November 2016

Howard, in the next few days, I'll take spectral measurements with an Agilent N1996A spectrum analyzer and compare it with my K3 running on the latest firmware.  Screen captures can be saved to a USB stick. 

The QST spectral plot of the Flex 6700 already showed very good CW spectral bandwidth.  At +/- 1 kHz from Fc, the Flex shows about -70 dBc and -80 dBc for the K3. The 2009 Product Review of the Icom 7600 shows - 60 dBc. 

Lee, good point.  I'm also doing as you suggested by using an external keyer and running the slider up to 32+.  I'm measuring 4 ms rise/fall at 32+ WPM and about 6ms below 31 WPM.  If W2RF's scope was set to show 10 ms/div., then that agrees with my findings.

Paul, W9AC

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I was quoting a specification, not an actual measurement.  My screenshots were based on the audio output of a second receiver. The divisions are 10ms. I did these shots to show the relative effect, not as a precise measurement. But looking at them again it does seem to show that the actual envelope is tighter than the specified one. Looking forward to your further analysis and comparison with the K3!

73 Ed W2RF
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    CW fantastic in all acessible  for me QSK/QRQ settings
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Now if we could just get CW speed as an option for the Flex Control knob....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.