Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW character timing jitter

Lasse Moell
Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Running SSDR/Maestro 2.4.9.115 and Flex 6500. Keying direktly into radio front panel and using the built-in winkeyer. I notice that there are timing jitter to the characters i.e. a dash or dot may be shorter or longer than "normal", it's like a clock does not sync properly. I have not found out what setting will force this, and it is not always there, but sometime its more obvious. Restart does not "cure".  Anyone else see/hear this problem? BTW I just noticed similar behavour using the built-in keyboard, and running SSDR
/Lasse SM5GLC

Comments

• Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Are you using any other programs in connection with 2.4.9? I had a problem with jittery cw when using n1mm+. The problem was solved by changing the delay on the rig and n1mm+ to match.
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have DX4Win running, will try with a bare minimum i.e. only SSDR running. Still a bit odd as I expect the logging program pretty quitet, not messing with the radio.

• John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Does the problem persist if you increase the Delay value in the SmartSDR for Windows P/CW panel to some level that keeps the transmitter keyed between words? 

• Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well, yes I guess. I had it set to 150 ms and it was pretty bad, so reverted back to 10 or 15 ms. Thought it was a wee bit better but not sure, its back on 256 at the mo.. Really do not think this is the root cause, as I somtimes hear things go bad in a string of dits, wheras one or a few dits can get longer or shorter with out any reason. Very odd. Still have not confirmed if this is only on side tone or also on RF out, I need to record my self using seperate receiver for this.
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Agree it would be helpful to find out if the problem is just with the sidetone, or if persists over RF.
  • chris1165
    chris1165 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Did you ever find the cause or fix?
  • WØYVA
    WØYVA Member ✭✭

I have this exact problem! I'm pretty sure it's not an RFI issue. I thought I had lost my 'fist' until I recorded a couple of CW strings and could hear this 'jitter' issue on playback.

I hope someone is working on it!

73, Bob, WØYVA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.