Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Crashes and uncommanded TUNE mode

Options
Asher - K0AU
Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have left SmartSDR running for several hours while the computer goes to sleep and have seen a couple strange things. Several instances of SmartSDR crashes that will not let me reconnect to the radio until I power cycle. Also two times when I came back and found SmartSDR in an uncommanded TUNE mode. Can't say if it was triggered when I woke up the computer or if SmartSDR spontaneously entered TUNE mode while sleeping. I don't have a pattern, but thought I'd share and see if anyone else has seen either issue. The takeaway for now is to exit SmartSDR before wandering away from the computer.

Answers

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It's best not to allow the computer to go to sleep while running any SDR transceiver, just for the very reason of coming up in an unknown state. The 6000 can still operate even if there is a loss of SmarthSDR control, but can only continue in the state of operation it was last in before loss of direct control of the client application. You would not have any way to change the frequency or any other control, be the receiver would still work and the transmitter with the local mic or key. There is a deadman timer that should drop the transmitter after a given time, so it should set in tune all night.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dudley - rather expect this will keep coming up as a periodic user issue. Could the software respond to an asleep client in a predictable and safe way? Lock it down in a controlled way. It might be useful on waking for the software to suggest to the user to disable Sleep and to tell the user to reboot/restart since the machine having gone to sleep caused a failsafe mode lock. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I left SmartSDR running this weekend to capture the VOA Radiogram. I was only gone for two hours and my computer does not have sleep mode enabled. When I returned SmartSDR was locked up and I was not getting any audio from the radio. This probably occurred in the first hour as I did not receive any of the radiogram. I have run SmartSDR for much longer than two hours before/since then with no troubles, so I believe this to be an isolated incident.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Dudley, I'd put this behavior down as a P2 bug. If the radio and the client can communicate - keep the session running. If the radio loses the client, shut the session down gracefully. One of the nice things about SmartSDR is I can run it on a non-dedicated computer and have sleep mode enabled. Especially in a world with limited client persistence, it's very fiddly to stop the client every time I leave the room.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have had similar things happen when leaving the rig unattended for a time. I return and SSDR is unresponsive. I close it and reopen and I get a beep and error message saying that the connection has failed..... It requires closing and reopening SSDR, SDRCAT, DDUtil, and sometimes requires cycling the 6500's power button. I don't think I have ever needed to do a complete cold start power down. I guess I need to check my "sleep" settings. I also imagine I need to check to make sure that the ethernet port is not set to automatically power down when not in use...
  • Mike_WB8CXO
    Mike_WB8CXO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just got my 6700 back Friday from Flex on a very fast 6 day repair turn around. Put the 6700 on line and used it all weekend leaving both the radio and PC on 24/7. No problems so far. I agree with most here that for SSDR to be more robust it needs to tolerate sleep and hibernation state changes.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.