Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Crashed SmartLink Session

Osiel Rodriguez
Osiel Rodriguez Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have upgraded to v2 of the SmartSDR software with no issues.  One thing i found is that if the radio software crashes during a remote connection, I can't disconnect the radio to make a new connection nor can i disconnect the crashed session.

I can reboot the computer, and still it won't allow me to disconnect the failed session.  Perhaps i have overlooked something, but the only way to clear this problem is to reboot the radio.

Anyone run into this issue?

Comments

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    When you say the "radio software", do you mean the SmartSDR app you are running at the remote location, or the radio itself?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Osiel ... I think I remember this happen to an Alpha member and the answer was the ports will clear up after some period time.  I just don't remember if it was 30 seconds or 5 minutes.  
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited August 2017
    Dave,  This happened to the SmartSDR app, it crashed.  When i went back and restarted SmartSDR, it still showed the radio connected, but no matter how much i pressed the Disconnect button, i couldn't get it to disconnect.  The actual full screen version of SmartSDR never came up after that.

If i remember, i left it about 5 minutes and still it did not disconnect on its own.
  • N4TTY
    N4TTY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I had the same or almost the same experience.  I was using the Maestro though.  The Maestro screen seemed to freeze.  Couldn't change freq with the VFO knob or with the touch screen.  Powered off the Maestro and then back on.  At first it said no radios were available but then came back with the radio is in use.  I returned home and tried connecting with my desktop computer but still got the no radios available.  It never did change to radio is in use like it did on the Maestro.  Had to power down the radio and power it back up before I could connect.
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited July 2017
    Steve, then i should take comfort in knowing i'm not alone in this.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Just to be certain, you have shut down SmartSDR at the remote location and restarted it, right?  The radio should time out the broken TCP control connection and should reset itself and wait for a new connection.  I'm not sure if SmartSDR would track that situation well if it was just left running.
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited July 2017
    Correct.. so, i have to paths to the internet at my QTH... When this occurs, i shut down the smartSDR on the side which was controlling.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I believe one of the FCC stipulations of running remote is that the operator have the ability to shut down the transmitter in the event it hangs.   A simple WeMo or similar device is all it takes to shut the power off to the Flex radio, wait a few minutes and turn it back on.  You'll also have to enable the remote on/off on the Flex 6000 and have a jumper on the Remote on/off RCA connector on the back of the rig.  I believe it is port 14 on the 6700.  The jumper is required to be able to turn the rig back on after it's lost 12v power.

Norm - W7CK
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    Are you running the iPad app?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    I have entered this problem report into our bug tracker as issue #5115 for additional investigation. Thank you for the defect report.
  • WG5D
    WG5D Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I just experienced the same issue with a remote session. SmartSDR crashed and when I restart the application the radio indicates that it is connected and the "Disconnect  User" button does not seem to do anything. I am running the remote session on a Windows 10 laptop on a less-than-optimal hotel wireless network. As an added note, I remoted back into a computer that is on the local network with the radio and tried to connect locally and could not disconnect the session from that computer either. 

Update - after I waited for a while - about 20 minutes, SmartSDR now tells me that no radios are available. Interestingly enough, I do get a ping reply from the IP of the radio. I guess I will have to reboot the radio when I return home.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    I have updated the defect detain for issue #5115 with this information.  Thank you.
  • Osiel Rodriguez
    edited August 2017
    Tim, while i do have the IOS version, i was not using it during this time, i was using my Windows 10 laptop via a different IP on a hotspot.  The desktop which is were it normally run is also on Windows 10 and also a different IP via hardwire.

As a side note, this issue appears to be random.  I've noticed that if SmartSDR crashed, it would sometimes take like 10 seconds then allow me back in and other times it would take 5 minutes...
  • Jay Spaulding
    Jay Spaulding Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm having the same problem with the iOS and also on the SmartSDR software on the PC on the same network. Just shuts down. Happen to me a couple times while I was doing a net today. Didnt work out to good. 

Jay

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.