Crash following profile change

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
When switching to a different saved profile I am experiencing the occasional crash. SSDR closes with an error that it has lost connection to the radio. If I restart SSDR there is no radio available.
The 6300 still shows a green light above the power button, but will not shut down normally, I have to hold the power button in until the radio switches off.
I can then restart the radio and all works normally. There is no pattern to this, most times it works ok when switching between profiles. Everything else works just fine.
The 6300 is connected via a router to a Dell optiplex 790 with i5 processor and 8 gig of ram.
Has anyone else seen this problem?

Peter GM4WCE
Photo of Peter Kirsop

Peter Kirsop

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 122 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I've had similar issues when both Ethernet direct connection and wifi are active
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Official Response
I have written up this behavior as a defect in our bug tracker for additional investigation.  Thanks for the report.  If you can find a reproducible set of steps that crashes the radio, we would be very interested.
Photo of Ed.G

Ed.G, Software Engineer

• 103 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Peter are you still seeing this? and if so, would you mind exporting your profiles and sending them to me for investigation? My email is ed.gonzalez@flexradio.com
Photo of Gary Robertson - KY5R

Gary Robertson - KY5R

• 79 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have experienced exactly the same crash on occasion when changing from one profile to another one. I have to reboot the radio and computer as well as unplug the router from electrical power for a minute and then plug it back in. After re-booting, everything works fine.
Photo of Ed.G

Ed.G, Software Engineer

• 103 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Gary would you also be willing to export your profiles and send them to me? 
Photo of Gary Robertson - KY5R

Gary Robertson - KY5R

• 79 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes. Can you tell me where to find the profiles. I assume you want them as attachments to an email sent to your email address.
Photo of Ed.G

Ed.G, Software Engineer

• 103 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Sure thing. 

You will have to export your profiles by clicking the "Profiles" tab on the top menu in SmartSDR and then selecting "Import/Export Profiles." You can then select the "Export" tab and do "Select All." Then click the "Export" button to receive a prompt of which folder you would like to save the exported data.

Once you've done this you should be able to attach the created .ssdr_cfg to an email. 

Thanks for taking the time help! 

If you need more info the software manual has a better description. I've pasted the corresponding chapter here.

Photo of Thom W4THA

Thom W4THA

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have always had and keep having (ver 1.5.1) this problem. In my case it almost always happens when I change a profile, including the supplied default profiles. I almost always have four slices open.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
You have something corrupted in your profile or in the band persistence data.  Export just your TX and global profiles (uncheck all other options), do a reset to factory defaults and then import your profiles.  it that solved the problem, then the issue was with the persistence data.  If not, then one (or more) of your profiles may be the issue.  If this is the case, you will need to reset to factory defaults and import your profiles in one at a time to see which one is the culprit.
Photo of Thom W4THA

Thom W4THA

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the fast response Tim, I have deleted all but the default profiles (I see they can't be deleted) and if I choose one of those default profiles, smartsdr crashes.

In further testing I have discovered that all of the transmit profiles that I created work just fine. It is only when I switch to one of the default profiles that the software crashes and it crashes every time. I can switch without problem between any of my saved profiles. By the way I am just talking about transmit profiles, I have yet to create a global profile.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Thom - I recommend that you open a HelpDesk support ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so we can investigate further.