Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CPU Fan in Flex-6500 is down. Anyone please who can send a spare one?

Mike
Mike Member
I've asked already Eric K2CB if he has from his orders, but he sold all.
Since I'm at Cyprus island, it still seems easier to get fan to the radio, rather then radio out to the dealer.
Replacement is not a problem, but need the fan. I put back life to mine by drop of oil, but not for long time unfortunately. If you have spare one - please contact to my 5b4alj@gmail.com email address. 73! Mike 5B4ALJ.

Comments

• Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It would be great if he would do another bulk order. I only got two and they are already failing. Not going to spend money every six months to a year to send the radio back to Flex.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If there was a safe way to seperate the heat sink that is on now, we could perchase the new ones from Flex and install them. Flex has replacements for the old ones.
  • Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    My 6300 fans failed while in Warranty and sent in to Flex.  A year later one fan failed again.  Found a source and replaced both here.  Now another year has passed and I suspect another failure.
    I bought a 6500 last year hearing they had no fan problems.  So far, in 7x24 operation, no failure.  It appears to have larger fans.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The fans are **** on to the heatsink. They can be removed without separating the heatsink from the chip. One of the heatsink/ fan assemblies Flex installed while my radio was still under warranty was not solidly attached and lifted with no real effort. When I replaced the rear one six months later, the front one I installed was still solidly stuck on the chip. With that in mind, I can't justify close to two hundred bucks every year or less to keep sending it in. Thought about one of the new ones and saw all the issues with heatsinks falling off.
  • Mike
    Mike Member
    edited April 2019
    Happy to let the community know that fans were kindly sent to me in the response to this post. Therefore, case is closed. 73!

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Scott, the new fans Flex is using are a heat sink and fan assembly. The fan in this new assembly can not be used to replace a bad fan. So the heat sink fan assembly must be removed and the new heat sink is installed. The fans on the new assemblys are not interchangable with the original ones. Steve said that unless it is done the right way damage can be done to the processor. They do not recomend it done in the feild.

The issue with falling off heat sinks on the new radios has been corrected.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Yes, I know care has to be taken. I've already changed two of them myself. They don't last is the real problem. Six to eight months and they squeak and slow down, then the radio keeps shutting down. Of all of us that bought fans when that batch was ordered, I have yet to hear of any flex owner that damaged their radios changing them.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would like to know how many flex users have had fans replaced after they had been fixed with the new inseparable assemblies you speak of? Maybe it's time to trade it in and take the big loss.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Scott in caces were the fans have been replaced it was a matter of changing the fans, not the heat sinks. Are we talking about the same thing? In order to pull off the original heat sinks is not easy. To change out the fans them selves pulling off the heat sinks is not needed. I was refuring to the new replacements Flex has now. You have to change the heat sinks fan combo for the Flex replacements.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Scott, I think the only ones that have the new fan heat sink combo were done at Flex because of the possible precessor damage.

I have never had a fan issue here, but if I do I will take the fan apart and clean it then oil it. Put it back in and see what happens.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Yes I've replaced both, heat sink and all.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If anyone has fans they want to part with, I would be interested in taking them off your hands.
    Thanks;
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I’ve had a number of emails lately. If we can get enough takers, I’ll get another 100 fans. Maybe if everyone committed to a minimum of 4 each, we could make it happen quickly. If you have interest, contact me directly at K2cb at Comcast dot net. Give me an idea of how many you want. Min of two, preferably four. Hopefully I can get the mfg to honor the same pricing as last time . I’ll report back as to whether or not we have enough participants to make another group buy work. Eric K2CB
  • KD8K
    KD8K Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have 2 fans available from the last batch that I will never use because I traded in my 6500 for a 6600. If anyone would like them, email me at my qrz.com email address. $20.00 for both plus shipping (which is what I believe I paid for them)

Thanks!

John KD8K

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.