correction!!!! that should have been 999000 qsos

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
I just saw I typoed the heading of my previous message.
Actually it should have been 999,000 qsos
Only 1K more QSO's to go for a million....
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
  • verklempt

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 888 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
1.000.000 QSOs = Great! I doubt I will ever achieve that, doing it QRP most of the time ;-)
(Edited)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 888 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
It depends, whether you had 999.000 QSO's with 999.000 hams or 999.000 QSOs with ONE ham. Then, of course....
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
Burt, every ham does not pursue and enjoy the same portion of the hobby and service as you.  That does not mean they are doing anything wrong and you should not be trying to act as the sheriff.  
The orginal motto of the United States was not "In God We Trust", it was "Mind your business".  I think there is a lesson there.
(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1020 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
I believe my comment was not directed at you, Jay. Do you not follow what you preach? ("Mind your business".)   I think there is a lesson there.
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
touché', Burt!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1020 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
Jay it is very rare for any ham to acknowledge, as you did, you must be self confident! 
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
Bill, I was impressed at the 99,000 level.  That is an amazing number of Q's.
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 479 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Nice Bill, congrats!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3916 Posts
  • 1189 Reply Likes
Bill, how long did it take to get to 999K? I only have 8955 in the past ten years of electronic logging, (not counting field day and W1AW/p contacts). I have 30 years of logs on paper and obsolete computers before that that I have not entered in this logging program or to LOTW.

Your tally is truly impressive.
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
First licensed in July 1965 as WN9VOL,
August of '65 passed genera & advanced WA9VOL
October made Extra  The old way, actual written test and full 3 minute 20wpm code copy. Down at the Federal Building in Chicago.
Had to wait a bit for the call to become available to apply for.
(Edited)
Photo of N7AIG

N7AIG

• 147 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Holy Moley! You must have been born with a key in your fist!
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
well I am old.....lol
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I didn't say I worked 999 000 DIFFERENT callsigns.
Well Burt, Actually as many were contest qsos, and so many times you work the same guys in contests on one band or the other. I know many of them. Others ... obviously not so much.
Chase 7 band DXCC, you do get to know a lot of them pretty well, especially if you arrange schedules.
Many times, even in fast paced contests you get a reply like: Tnx Bill, 59900x and hope to work you on 80 later.
Or some such.
But I don't think that was the intent of your comment.

To each his own, and I would NEVER criticize anyone else for their style of operating.

I've been a ham since the '60's.
I was coached by the man who was the inspiration for the famous How's DX Column about Elmering.
That man was W9DY, who name was indeed 'Elmer' (but used the nickname of Bud) and a co worker of Rod Newkirk who wrote the How's DX column for QST.
Rod aquiesed to Bud's request not to mention his call and not use the name we all knew him by, The term Elmering has become known as that person who help aspiring hams learn the ropes.
Bud was a DXer (still on top of the Honor Roll) and contester, I soon joined him in those aspects of the hobby.
BTW: Bud could hold a conversation and work contests at 50 wpm +, even in the days of paper logging.
Incredible person and incredible mentor.
The Chicago area still has many hams brought into the hobby by him.

So following his example, I'm proud to say I've drafted and inducted a number of youths to Ham Radio.
And they can be found working contests, and dxing in cw, ssb, and digital.
Almost always get 2 or 3 of them most weekends.

But ... Burt, if you hear me in a contest, feel free to give me a call. I won't hold it against you.

oh and btw: I'm now up to 999019, (mostly JT65 and JT9)
(Edited)
Photo of Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

• 1687 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
That is an amazing record well done. We all enjoy our hobby in different ways and I cannot understand why some people just cannot live and let live.
OT:- I once visited an Israeli ham (no jokes) who was having a 40 wpm QSO in English, whilst talking to me in Hebrew and his wife in Romanian (his mother tongue).
(Edited)
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
While I was being instructed, I used to visit the Illinois State Police Radio Station where Bud, (W9DY) and Rod Newkirk of QST worked.
In those days, a state trooper would ask for a license check, they would use Long Wave CW to talk to the guys in Springfield who would manually look up the data in a book and send the data back via cw at 60+ wpm.
And they would continue coaching me on theory as they copied the info on old Underwood manual typewriters.
It was truly amazing, I can still copy cw, but now a days...not as good, and any distraction and I loose the thread.

But I've found that bi and multi lingual people can do that, hold conversations in multi languages, cw is just another language.

I can't, in fact barely conversant in English.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1023 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
Would you rather have 1000 dates with 200 woman that lasted 5 minutes or one date that lasted a night? the 999000 QSOS mean nothing, the people you have brought into ham radio, now that means something. Substance over style.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3522 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes
Obviously if one could get done what one needed to do in 5 minutes and could do it 200 times a night... why waste time with idle chatter...

Hi,. Hi...
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 479 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
That many qso's means quite a lot. It shows that Bill has spent a tremendous amount of time building and operating his station over the years, and I'm sure has learned a lot about ham radio (technology, operating procedures, etc) as a result. His reasons for being in the hobby are his to pursue. Your reasons may be different, and there is nothing wrong with that. But there *is* something wrong with trying to bring a guy down when he's celebrating something that is important to him and he has spent many years to achieve.
Photo of Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

• 1687 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
@ Howard - that was very good.
ROTFLMFAO - I cannot breath.
(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1023 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
Robbie, I need to be better at holding my tongue. As a teacher I see many children whose father ignores them and the QSO comment got me to open my BIG MOUTH, wrongly. This was the wrong place plus I don't know the particulars. 
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I would never assume to criticize your operating or life style.
Let this be the last communication between or about us.
(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1023 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes

Works for me. You value 999,000 QSOS, and that pleases you, plus you have Elmered and been an asset to children. I applaud your contribution to young people.

Goodbye

Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 746 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes

Just to put this into perspective.

Lets round it up to 1,000,000 QSOs.  If you were on the air for 1.5 hours every day and averaged 1 QSO every 2 minutes, you could make 1 million contacts and it would only take you 60.882 years.  Now, I'm assuming someone isn't going to be on the air every single day and some days will be on more than 1.5 hours and some less.  Some QSOs may take less than 2 minutes and some may take more, especially if you exchange more than 599 73's.  Any way you look at it, 1 million QSOs in 60 years is a lot of air time.  This is proof that everyone enjoys the hobby in a different way.  If I tried this, I wouldn't have time to travel, spend time with friends and family, mountain bike, scuba dive, or any of the other myriad of things I love

Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Math is NOT my strong point, but a contest weekend will normally result in around a 1000 qsos, most not taking more the 30 seconds. I have made more than a few 1K qso contest. CW and RTTY, but SSB not so much, (not my favorite mode)
Now chasing DX atno's can take hours, but, if lucky, result in a 10 second qso if that.
It took many hours before I logged Navassa on 160.
A normal JT9 or JT65 qso takes 6 minutes if there are no repeats.
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
As I've concentrated on DX contests, I see I've only worked K6TU a half dozen times.
But Stu is a VERY active contester, and a very good cw op.
I'd be willing to bet his qso/min rate is very high.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 746 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes

Bill,

So if a contest weekend gets you 1000 contacts, that would mean you'd have to work 1,000 contest weekends to get your 1,000,000 QSOs.   If you worked a contest weekend every weekend it would only take you a little over 19 years to hit your 1 million QSOs.  Just sayin!

(Edited)
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
While other duties, prevented me from working EVERY contest weekend.
Your forgetting one issue. I've been contesting since '67.
I'm willing to bet that many many contesters of 50 years are way over a million.
Going through my old logs shows many a contest with far more than 1K qsos.
And I wasn't even a big gun, with a very modest antenna inner city station.

Throw in weekday normal DXing, I have almost every contry on all HF bands in cw, ssb, and digital

We've beaten this to death.
Let's put this thread to bed.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1023 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
Norm, if I need to write more like you and less like me.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 746 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes

Hey Burt,

I really liked the "Would you rather have 1000 dates with 200 woman that lasted 5 minutes or one date that lasted a night?" statement.   When I was young, the 1000 dates with 200 woman would have been my pick, but now that I'm much older I've decided the one date that lasts a night is about all I can handle.  So I guess, even I have changed over the years! 

My 2 minute per QSO was an average and only to give some perspective.  Its a lot of QSOssssss.

Photo of Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

• 1687 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
After that one-night date I'd have to rest for a while ;-).