Control of StepIR from Flex-6500, will a USB Cable do it all?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
 I am seriously interested in acquiring a “BigIR” with 80m coil but am unsure how I would interface it with my Flex-6500.

Reading online has been confusing with reference to:-

DDUtil 3rd party software presumably running on another Windows-Computer.

Band data, (available / not available) presumably for switching in the 80m coil.

And many other comments which I frankly didn’t understand.

My setup is simple, initially I used to control the transceiver using Windows-PC running SmartSDR, but now prefer to control my Flex-6500 using a Maestro.  When operating digital modes I do use a PC Laptop Win-10 running “fldigi" or ‘WSJT-X”, otherwise the only computer in the shack is my iMac into which I manually input log-data into my MacLoggerDX program.  My antenna is a MFJ loop which has to be manually tuned every time I change frequency - which is time consuming and frankly a pain.

Has the control of StepIR become simpler since the advent of the “USB Cable Interface”?  Will I have to purchase and run another Windows-PC to running 3rd party software and if so can I still use my laptop at the same time for PSK and JT modes.  Its all terribly confusing, can any one make sense  out of it?

Photo of Andrew Rose

Andrew Rose

• 27 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Looking forward to new toys (if I can make them work!)

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 297 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Official Response
What you're asking is super easy and detailed in the USB Interface Guide available on the Flex Website. You simply configure a USB cable to talk to the SteppIR SDA 100 controller (with the correct cable detailed also in the guide) and it works seamlessly.

Alpha Team