Control Alfaspid and Ultrabeam remote Flex6400

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago

Hello all

Who has experiance with remote control an UltraBeam and a AlfaSpid rotor over internet?

The UltraBeam controller can be connected with CAT, but I’am not prefer to use a PC at radio side using VPN etc. I read it is possible to control in SmartSDR the USB connector output together with a relay card. This could be a solution for set preference directions from the AlfaSpid rotor. But to control the UltraBeam with this way...?

I read also the possibility from RemoteQTH using a Raspberry server, but for my applications maybe overkill..

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Laurens PD9X

Photo of Laurens PD9X

Laurens PD9X

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 226 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
PSTRotator works with AlphaSpid.
Photo of Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP, Elmer

• 232 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Laurent, why not do as you suggest. Take a USB to RS232 cable and connect between Flexradio and Ultrabeam controller and use CAT-mode. Should work fine. I controll a lot of devices this way.
Or use controller at home and connect with SmartSDR Cat and USB-RS232 cable. Then use a RS232 to LAN converter at radio site. You may use a port combiner at home to tie virtual ports unless controller has a lan port.
73 Kari
Photo of Laurens PD9X

Laurens PD9X

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Kari

Right now i am trying to connect with the Ultrabeam and SDRCAT. At radio site i connect a USBtoRS232 adapter between Flex6400 and UltaBeam controller.

At home i can see this controler at the tab USB cables. I choose in the AC-4 software Com5 and it is visible at SDRCAT menu (com5), so looks gooed.

Unfortunality the controler doesn't wake up, elements could not be changed. Below you will see a screenshot, what is going wrong?

• 232 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Laurens, can you choose "radio modell" the AC4 software is using? If so try Kenwood if Flex is no option.
Photo of Laurens PD9X

Laurens PD9X

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I’am using Windows 10. It looks like the software is not running good with 10.

I’ve got an error while clicking on “Config radio” in the RCU-01 software. I also tried the RCU-06 software, but this not compatible with my conroller

• 232 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Can you use a Win 7 compatibility mode?