Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Contesting with a 6600M in the CQ WW WPX at VP5P

John - AF3K
John - AF3K Member ✭✭

Ross, W2TT and I took a Flex 6600M to Turks and Caicos for the 2018 CQ WPX SSB contest last month and operated as VP5P.

We’ll see if this holds up after the logs are checked, but cqwpx.com shows our unofficial “Raw Score” at 9.5 million points. This puts us #1 in North America in the Multi Operator - Single Transmitter (M/S) high power category, and #13 World.  Needless to say, this was way above our expectations.

In addition to the 6600M, our station consisted of an Elecraft KPA 500 amp, a SteppIR at 30' (3 elements on 20 - 10, one element on 40), and an end fed 1/2 wave wire antenna on 80.

We ran the 6600M non-stop for all 48 hours of the contest.  With the exception of one 10 minute glitch, the 6600M performed flawlessly. We had at least a dozen unsolicited comments about the high quality of the audio coming from the 6600M.  We are used to getting good reports on Flex audio but never had this many during a contest.

We found the 6600M has the ergonomic benefits of a traditional knob radio for contesting, but with the significant added advantage of the large, built-in, touch screen panadapter. The 6600M receiver performed well.  When 40 was open, the band was jammed with S9 +20 signals adjacent-to and usually overlapping our run frequency so we used the receive filtering constantly.

Bottom line is the Flex 6600M performed great in the contest and I wanted to pass that on to everyone here.

John, AF3K

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Good job!
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Congrats, I worked you. Like you I got seversl unsolicited "very good audio reports". That was my first contest with the flex and it was very fun
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    In 2016 I was in Barbados an did CQWW Single Op Assisted Low Power on 15M
    Managed #2 World.
    Very happy with the performance of the 6700 on the contest.

The best part for me were some intense rates

• John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Salvador,  Those QSO rates are amazing!  Our best rate was 5 Q's in one minute. 3 Q's per minute sustained in a one hour period. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Its fantastic to see others winning contests with their flex 6000 series radio's.  These kinds of scores will certainly generate some interest!
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yes, it was intense. Some of my best times in front of a radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.