Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Contest Workflow

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas

My own frustration with SSDR is contest workflow… having to move the mouse to adjust the radio which results in losing mouse focus on the contest logging software … It really slows down the workflow and more seriously results in errors if you lose eye hand synch (which I am prone to do)

I must say that Contest Workflow is helped a lot with the FlexControl Knob and the K6TU Flex Ipad App and DDUTIL.  But even those useful tools, while still keeping focus on the contesting software,  still take your fingers off the keyboard onto the mouse or iPad or FlexControl and back...

The real solution is to integrate SSDR into a contest logging program…so that virtually everything you need to do in a contest can be done without taking your fingers off the keyboard.

Until something like that is developed, I see that Flex will continue to be an also ran in the contest world...

Comments

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I use Wizmouse. It's a free app that automatically focuses your mouse on whatever window it lands on. No click is needed to focus. I can jump from one monitor to the other without clicking to focus. Works with Win 7 or 8 and more.
    Love it.
    http://antibody-software.com/web/software/software/wizmouse-makes-your-mouse-wheel-work-on-the-windo...
    Another gadget is the Logitec 705 mouse. The wheel is weighted. You can flip and spin the thing and it coast like the knob on a big rig. If you don't like that, push a button and it becomes a normal mouse with drag.
    N4LQ Steve

• Mike
    Mike Member
    edited July 2014
    Keeping focus is a problem. Anything I do that controls the radio from the logging program works just like with a conventional radio. Having a second monitor allows me to see the FLEX without logging windows covering it up. The FLEX Control allows me to tune the radio and still be on the logger with keyboard, same as a conventional radio. If I click tune with the mouse, a double click returns focus back to logging program. Sometimes, however, I find myself in the wrong place, and I have to refocus my efforts to the logging program. A partial solution might be to make more features programmable by the FLEX control. In PowerSDR, one could program the buttons for several functions, such as step filter BW up and down. Longer term solutions might be a bigger FLEX control with more buttons, making it closer to a conventional radio front panel, or a FLEX control with a mouse built in! iPad or Win Tablet app could do the same thing without dedicated hardware. Do everything from the keyboard? That would be great, but I'd run out of keys! --Mike, WV2ZOW
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Its every easy to enable mouse focus by hovering in W7

You can enable a mouse mode in Windows 7 or Vista where just hovering over a window with the mouse will switch to that window. In the old days, this used to be called the XWindows mode, and was enabled through TweakUI, but now it’s built right into Control Panel for everybody to use.

To turn this setting on, just type “mouse works” into the search box in the Control Panel, and you should see an item called “Change how your mouse works”.

In this screen, scroll down and find the checkbox for “Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse”.

No need for external programs..

BUT it still does not solve the issue of lifting your hand off the keyboard for contesting

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    What about 2 mice? 
    http://www.eithermouse.com/
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    What do you use for contest logging software?
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I agree the mouse causes most of the issues and I understand why some people say you need a second computer to log. When your running a frequency it is great as you make very few adjustments to the radio, but search and pounce is more complex

For field day I did use a logging computer connected to the 6500 pulling frequency and mode info only and it worked nicely because the mouse didnt effect the logging PC. It does however take more desk space but works
    I agree the flex control is a must for this to work well

Mike

N9DFD
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Writelog.. only because I have been using it forever
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I run N3JFP OR N1MM. I prefer N3JFP but N1MM is more versitle at some things and has more preprogrammed contests Mike N9DFD
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    What I'd like to see is a dedicated virtual hardware front panel for contesting - sort of like that FlexPad posted a couple of weeks ago.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    FlexPad thread.....

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flexpad

The FlexPad picture shows jacks for a paddle, phones and mic in the add on hardware.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.