Connecting to the 6600 remotely using DishNet

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I am looking to the community for help! I have a 6600 and have been trying to connect using smart link. I can connect remotely inside my home with my iPad or iPhone. Once I go outside my home network I can not get connected to my 6600.

I have been successful with all setup until it comes to testing my network connection. I get the dreaded red light. I am using a Linksys EA7300 Router. My ISP is Dishnet. After suggestions by Dudley today I reached to Dishnet to have them Bridge the router. However Dishnet is NOT using a router, they claim that there system is only using a modem (HughesNet DishNet HT1000 Gen 4 Satellite Modem) and the port is wide open with no restrictions. I have actually called and spoke with 2 different technical support agents that seemed very willing to help. I have tried using the automatic connection feature which is using the UPnP. This does not work so I disabled the UPnP in my router and setup the port forwarding... 22000 to 4400 TCP and 23000 to 4300 UPN. (These numbers are provided in the Manual connection boxes of smartlink) Still no luck. I have tried anything that was suggested. Any one else ever dealt with this issue using this particular or similar setup? Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of Jeff-W7NEE

Jeff-W7NEE

• 34 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2264 Posts
  • 897 Reply Likes
Official Response
My ISP is Dishnet

Are you on satellite? I strongly suspect, in fact I am almost positive that you don't have an actual public internet IP. Instead, you have what is called "carrier grade NAT." You get a private IP, not a public one. I believe Dishnet does supply public IPs if you request a static IP but it costs extra. The same applies for 4G LTE (at least over IPv4, I think for IPv6 they aren't doing NAT). 

SmartLink will only work if you have a public IP routable over the Internet. 

See here:

hughesnet-networking-faq

It's the 4th question down from the top. 
(Edited)