Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connecting a Yamaha CM 500 to a Maestro

Barry Young
Barry Young Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I want to connect my Yahama CM 500 to a Maestro, OR 6400 OR PC. What mic setting profile do you use? I understand it has a pre-amp. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    First make sure that the pin out is changed to reflect the correct configuration - I just went thru this ,
    See this post: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/wiring-a-yamaha-cm500-headset-for-a-6400-m-or-6600-...

These are the settings i use when i use the CM-500 

Bias and +20 enabled

TX filter 100-3300 

EQ settings I use are:

65 +3
    125 +3
    250 -3
    5000 -1
    1K  +4
    2K +6
    4K +5
    8K  +2

Hope this gets you started 

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the info. Is this the case when the CM 500 is connected to a PC for the headset ?
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Each to his own but I have found the cm 500 headset to be very uncomfortable.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Steven, this post was supposed to be about the headphone connection, not about comfort.
    In saying that,,I really like mine.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Barry- If its connected to a PC rather then directly connected to the Flex you should be okay with the way it comes. (no adapter changes needed). If you however decide your going to use it  plugged into the flex mic and headphone jack then you will need to make changes to the mic pinout as mentioned in the other post I linked above. I simply made up an adapter cable so I could use it either way, when used with PC I just plug the headset into  the pc mic and headphone jacks, when used with the flex I plug headphone in the headphone jack and use my adapter cable between the radio and the CM500 mic jack. the problem is the way they have the bias voltage applied and the way FLEX applies the Bias voltage for the mic element.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I like mine as well no issues here, more comfortable they the head in a vise heil set I used before, I bought these to try them and used them a Field day for hours with no complaints. for a headset under 60.00 I feel there a good value with good audio repots once they are EQed
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Some must have different pin outs,,when I got mine I simply plugged it into the balanced mic input on my 6500 with the 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor, it works great.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Nobody ever asks which headset is best for my head do they. image

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If your using the 1.8 jack on say a 6400 it seems to be the issue, I have seen posts that some older models  worked without the changes as well, I can say I got  my CM500 about 2 months ago and it did not play well directly with radio until after I made up adapter cable. so t could be a possible scenario depending on usage with rig and also if early or late model cm500 , try it if it don't work correctly you'll probably need to make the changes.
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Will this work? It is 16v. Also one lead is shorter than the other. What is the polarity? Searched Google but didn’t find anything.

Is there anyway to test this prior to connecting it to the radio?

Thanks!
  • Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I used a very similar tantalum capacitor for my adapter. The longer lead is the positive lead.
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Joel I appreciate your prompt response.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I used a .01 disk cap for mine , as they also work well for shielding RF 
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Joel,

On the symbol on the wiring diagram ( link from post above) , which side of the capacitor symbol is positive and which is negative?

Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.