Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connect Flex 1500 to Elecraft KXPA100 amplifier

Jose B Rivera
Jose B Rivera Member ✭✭
I wish to connect my Flex 1500 to my Elecraft KXPA100 amplifier. I wish to know if there are any ready made to buy cables out there which will connect these two units? I am guessing it has to go through the flexwire port. I solder terribly so I can't do it myself. de N2LRB

Answers

• Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Have you researched the manuals for both pieces of equipment you are wanting to connect? I think you will find your answer quicker than I can type it all out.
  • Jose B Rivera
    Jose B Rivera Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    HI Jd, I am looking to buy a ready made cable so that the radio keys (ptt?) the amplifier. If that is the answer. If you know the answer give me a hint. Am I looking for a cable or can I just hook the coax?
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    You are going to need to build your own or have someone do it for you.  Standard RCA cable on one end to the KXPA 100 to 2 pins on the DB9 into the Flex 1500. Pin out is on page 18 of the Flex 1500 owners manual. No body I can find is making a ready made cable for your application. Making stuff is the fun part of this hobby!
  • elan
    elan Member
    edited December 2016
    w2ihy made this cable  
    73 elan g0uut
  • Jose B Rivera
    Jose B Rivera Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jd, thanks again for getting back to me. You wrote what I did not want the answer to be, LOL. I am absolutely terrible, at creating such things. Which is why I wanted to purchase one. When ordering my Flex 1500 yesterday, I never thought that the connection between the radio and my Elecraft KXPA100 would be a problem. I may not have ordered the radio. QRP is not for me. But since I already have an amp, I figured why not use it? Silly me. I wonder why Flex chose such a connector when others use RCA on both ends? Again thanks! I will have to create the cable and hope it will work.
  • Jose B Rivera
    Jose B Rivera Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Elan, I checked and will call W2IHY today to see if maybe they can create the cable. Thanks. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Julius (W2IHY) makes primarily audio cables to interface the FLEX-1500 to his audio products.  Although he may be willing to make one.
  • Jose B Rivera
    Jose B Rivera Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Update: I e-mailed Julian and he does not make that cable. I guess I am gonna have to make my own. You all don't know how much I dread the thought. There is a part I read about some resister too. I know nothing about electronics.  Woe is me. Will let you know what happens. Thanks for all your responses.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.