Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Confused about Cell Phone Carriers IPv4 / IPv6 & SmartSdr IOS

Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS) Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm looking to change Cell Phone carrier. Looking at older post doesn't seem to address most of the carriers going to IPv6. In a 2 year old post Ria & Tim talk about Flex may move to IPv6. Marcus mentions T-Mobile IPv6 will not work with IOS. T-mobile is the carrier that I'm thinking of moving to. Does SmartSdr v 2.1.33 support IPv6 ? If not, when is it expected. Moving from Android to I-Phone / I-Pad will cost a little more but worth while if I know it will work...Also, will Marcus have to re-write IOS to work with IPv6 ?

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Excellent question!! Let’s see what the response will be!!
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've had no trouble using T-Mobile with SmartSDR iOS. My shack ISP does not support IPv6 so there is translation to IPv4 going on somewhere, but based on my experience I would not expect you to have any difficulty using SmartSDR IOS over the T-Mobile network.  I've tested it with the "use IPv6" switch set both to "on" and "off" in SmartSDR iOS and both settings work. 

I'd be happy to try connecting to your setup via SmartSDR iOS on T-Mobile / iOS to confirm that it works.  If that would be helpful just contact me at matt@nq6n.com.

Matt NQ6N
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Matt..  But how do I know if in my area that T-mobile has IPv6 or IPv4..  As I mentioned Marcus said IPv6 would Not work with IOS.. I have even tried to get answers at a local T-mobile store..  knowing I'd prob not get an answer... I need something firm before I plop down some bucks... And I'm  still very curious if my Flex is able to use IPv6....  I may still may contact you about you trying access.... I'm going to waste some more time calling T-Mobile about what IPV they use...  Grrrr..    Thanks again..
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Alan,

Ahh. I know my T-Mobile uses IPv6 because when I connect to the personal "hot spot" my computer gets assigned a public IPv6 address. You might be able to test this at the local T-Mobile store just by loading a website like http://ipv6-test.com/ in the browser of one of the demo phones. 

I too am curious to know if the Flex will work directly with IPv6! 

Matt 
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    Still again ...  Do the different units ( I-pad, I-phone, hotspot use) use different protocols ? If I buy I-Pad with data plan... Which protocol do I get ??  LOL...  OH,,,  I may run over to the T-Mobile store & try that site you listed....
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    I just tried that IPv6-test site  on my local Frontier Fios ,  &   I don't have IPv6 available...I also tried my Sprint CP & it does support IPv6...
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My AT&T iPad and iPhone operate on BOTH IPv4 AND IPv6 But my Spectrum Cable Internet only supports IPv4
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I am a T-Mobile user.  When they changed their network protocol to IPv6 only, SmartSDR for IOS quit working.  However when Apple pushed IOS v 11.2.5 to my iPhone 7 plus, and after conferring with Marcus, he added a IPv6 option  to SmartSDR for iOS V 2.3.0, The app works flawlessly.

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that T-Mobile has always and still continues to support IPv4 apps such as SmartSDR for iOS when using your iPhone as a Personal Hotspot for tablets as well as any wifi device running SmartSDR software.
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    That sounds great.... I'll prob go to my T-mobile store & try that IPV test software & see if they have phone & Pad we can test with that ( I suppose ) new IOS in CP & Pads... I never owned an Apple product, so learning curve is slow...
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You may find that the test fails.  However, if you bring or have access to an iPhone with iOS 11.2.5 and SmartSDR for iOS v2.3.0 you should be able to connect to your network radio.
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    Oh..  Ok...

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I can confirm ipv6 works well. Basically T-Mobile does 6 to 4 translation. Just enable in settings and you’re good to go. Two thumbs up to Marcus. image
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2019
    SmartSDR for Windows, Maestro and all FLEX-6000 are designed to work with IPv4 only.  You cannot connect to the radio on your local LAN using IPv6.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Agreed, however there is still the issue of IPv6 only mobile carriers and SmartLink. SmartSDR for iOS fixes this by having IPv6 capability. 
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Ria, good to know... Can you give me an idea about audio quality between the I-Phone vs the I-pad ?  I removed my mobile HF rig planning to use IOS as my mobile connect... Tx audio is kind of more important than Rx..  I suppose I can have either a headset or use small audio amp for Rx.  I've never owned an Apple product before & don't know what , if any, audio ports are available on I-Pad or I-phone.. ( guess I need to go look..lol )
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    I suppose there is no need at present for SmartSDR  to have IPv6... That  2 year old post where you & Tim talked about IPv6 got me wondering...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I don't think he precluded the need, just stated that it's not there right now which is correct. Whether it will be there in the future is unknown. If you read that thread, you will see Tim mention the 80/20 rule that they use to apply to enhancements and features. 

iOS did need to have it because Apple requires IPv6 compatibility now and wireless carriers are using IPv6 and doing 6 to 4 translation. 
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Ria, good to know... Can you give me an idea about audio quality between the I-Phone vs the I-pad ?  I removed my mobile HF rig planning to use IOS as my mobile connect... Tx audio is kind of more important than Rx..  I suppose I can have either a headset or use small audio amp for Rx.  I've never owned an Apple product before & don't know what , if any, audio ports are available on I-Pad or I-phone.. ( guess I need to go look..lol )
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Audio quality is identical. iPhone has no headphone jack but they give you a little pig tail adapter that plugs into the lightning port. You can also use bluetooth. TX audio is better with a wired mic than bluetooth. I use an Antlion Modmic5. iPad has a headphone jack. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have used both the Apple Ear Buds and various Bluetooth headsets.   I get superb audio reports from both my iPhone and iPad not matter what I use.  I agree with Ria both iPhone and iPad have identical audio.
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    Thanks much for the info....  Guess I'll be visiting my T-Mobile soon to get on Air......
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    Ria... When I went surfing for info on the Lightning Adapter that comes with the I-phone, Only Audio Out is mentioned...  No Mic input . At the Antlion Modmic5 site it shows a Y-conn with 4 cond plug...  that looks like it has line for mic & stereo L & R + gnd. Did you buy a after market Lightning adapter that has extra cond for mic ??
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The lightning adapter most certainly does audio in. 

The modmic 5 I use with a set of bose QC25s because I wanted a boom mic. I used a splitter and a small cord to go to the headphone. I should really take some pics. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    edited March 2018
    Thanks again Ria...  Even calling a cpl of T-Mobile stores, they didn't know..... OH...  I forgot to ask...  Having a choice of Different I-phones... ( 7, 8, 8+ ) & memory..  Is one considered a minimum usable Or best one to buy ? Don't know which can run 2 apps at once, like IOS & another to remote shut down the radio  or rotate antenna...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Get the latest you can budget for. I have an iPhone X but the latest SmartSDR needs a minimum of iOS 10. I would get an iPhone 8 or X if you could. It runs really smooth on my iPhone X. But it runs fine on my iPhone 7 as well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.