Computer Lock up: Flex 6700 SmartSDR 2.0

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I'm running 2.0.19.98 on my I7 computer.

The computer locks up on a regular basis when SmartSDR, DAX and SmartCat are running.  I never have an issue with a computer lock up when Flex Software is not running.

I want to repeat, my computer is locking up, not the 6700.

Has anyone else come across this?

It may be time for a new computer as I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue or some combination there of.

I'm going to turn in a help desk request as well, but wanted to check to see if anyone else is having an issue like this.

Thanks in advance.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 971 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Hi Rich, what OS ar you using? I have never had problems with Windows7, only with 10. I'm running Windows7 64bit HE here on an i7 notebook. 
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Alex,

Win10 pro 64
16gb memory

Rich -  N5ZC
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3611 Posts
  • 865 Reply Likes
Is it happening while in transmit?
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
No, it happens when everything is idle or if I'm tuning the rig.  Never noticed the issue during transmit.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of N0AZZ

N0AZZ

• 38 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Rich I had a similar problem with a 6500 on a Win7 home 64bit computer i7 16 meg of ram. It came with a 2 T hard drive that had a lot of different programs on it that I had tried to delete many of after installing Smart SDR v2.0.19. the problem persisted so I removed from service and used a new Win10 computer with it ran perfect on it.

The Win7 computer was several yrs. old so instead of replacing it I just did several upgrades to it they were cheap. I replaced the hard drive with 2 new one a 256 gig SSD for c: drive and a 1 t d: drive with a better video card went from a 2 meg to 4m one. Then did a fresh install of Win10 to the SSD total cost for everything was about $350. On that computer it only has Smart SDR and programs relating to the radio installed on it.

This is my oldest computer in service other than a 17" laptop that runs programs to support my Maestro. It is the top of the line now for main radio/shack computer have 2 desktops there. Not only my best performer for the radio but now runs 2 4k 32" monitors and never a stutter for the computer or software.

Not saying this the best way to go but was what worked for me and now I will never buy a new computer without a SSD main with a second std drive. You might want to format the HD first then re install OS with all updates done then install your software for radio first to see if that works for you.

Fred/N0AZZ
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1251 Posts
  • 464 Reply Likes
I have to wonder about RFI... When I had an RFI problem my computer would periodically reboot.  Then I managed to kill the processing board in the dishwasher too.

But if you have bad memory then you can get lockups.  Before doing a massive replacement you might just re-seat the memory if it is removable.  If that doesn't work then replace the RAM and incrementally see if you get better performance.
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 259 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
I had similar issues with RF getting into the computer when running 500 watts and a tuner. Added 1:1 chokes on the coax just outside the shack and eliminated the common mode currents and RF in the shack issues went away, along with the computer “ghosts”, lockups and other mysterious issues. Computers and stray RF do not mix well.

Rick, W5FCX
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3611 Posts
  • 865 Reply Likes
Well we know he has no RFI as he is in receive when it crashes.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I'm looking at a Lenovo Tiny.  It's quite a bit smaller than my large current case.  I may just bite the bullet. 

I don't think it's RF getting into the pc, but it's certainly possible.  I've never had an issue while transmitting.  I can be tuning the 6700 with the flex knob and it will lock up.  I can walk away from the shop for a few minutes and come back and it's locked up.  Worse yet it happened last night as I was receiving an exchange during Sweepstakes.

I'm starting to suspect the 512gb SSD drive.  I recall having issues with it when installing DDutil.  I had to wipe the drive and reinstall windows and all the programs (not the fault of DDutil, it just happened when trying to install DDutil).

So It may be as simple as swapping out the HD as Fred suggests.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of James Skala

James Skala

• 100 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I would also suggest that you investigate you power saving settings..  ie sleep, hibernate
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 714 Posts
  • 144 Reply Likes
I would wait to hear from Flex before you get to carried away with buying a new PC, If your not getting past the Radio select page then it CAN'T be RF.
You may just have to do a full Un-Install and then reboot and Re-install of SmartSDR and then another Reboot.

BUT it does sound like a Computer Memory problem, How much memory do you have installed in your computer and how many programs are running in the background??
To see, bring up your Task Manager, hold down the "Ctrl-ALT-DEL" keys and see what programs are running, click on the "performance" tab to see your Memory and CPU usage, this will be a big help trouble shooting your issue.

If DAX and CAT show up at the bottom of the screen after you login to Windows try shutting them down BEFORE you bring up SmartSDR.

If you get past the radio selection page and into a receive window you can try to slow down the amount of network data used by slowing down the waterfall settings under "DISPLAY" tab.

Again the Task Manager will help show how the computer hardware / software is doing on your computer's resources, if nothing is above 60% or maxed out then your computer is probably NOT the issue.

Hope this helps
WX7Y
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
I recommend you find the reason for the crashes.  The first place I'd look in the Windows Event Viewer to correlate a warning or error at the time of the crash.
(Edited)
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Will do Tim, thanks.

Rich - N5ZC