Computer build

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
I am in the process of a New Computer build for my station. I am tossed between a Air Cooler for my CPU or a Water Cooler system. Has anyone had experience with either? And my main concern is.... a Water cooled system has a small pump as well as a fan or two. Has the pump ever caused any noise issues with the receiver of the Flex Radio. I am going to start building this over the weekend and was unsure of which direction to go.... so I ordered each option system knowing I could send one back if I choose to. As I am contiplating which to use this question of receiver noise came to mind! Your input would be greatly appreciated!
Photo of Jeff-W7NEE

Jeff-W7NEE

• 38 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of John - AI4FR

John - AI4FR

• 77 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I've used both and they each have their advantages and disadvantages. At present I have been running the Corsair H50 for about 8 years now with no issues. It is a closed loop liquid cooling system. Works great unless I really go crazy with the over clocking. I see/hear no noise from it on the Flex.

Edit: Forgot to add that I run 2 fans on each side of the radiator in a push pull configuration.

(Edited)
Photo of David Ahrendts

David Ahrendts

• 90 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Jeff, had the same bug a couple of years ago and settled on several 6-inch 12V fans — was a deal from Amazon. Created a small gale through a half-rack. Then I realized I have only rarely caused the Flex fans or my linear amp fans to trigger. I’d go smaller. Maybe put a switch on them to keep them off routinely. My two cents.

David Ahrendts, KK6DA, Los Angeles
Photo of Wim

Wim

• 95 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
If you don't overclock your system to get max performance, go with an air cooler
as it will be more reliable and sufficient for a normal system
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 422 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
There is little need for any of that CPU power level.  A 14V fanless i5 or i7 will run everything needed, unless you are including a 5000/3000 in the mix.
Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 142 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Jeff- As a Builder of systems and hardware guy for over 25 years, I currently use both, a Fan cooler for my CPU (depending on the fan cooler I would suggest replacing any included stock fan ) with an good aftermarket brand . I do use a water cooler on my Video card, as I push it pretty hard at times with video rendering gaming etc. XZXT Kraken is the block I use for video cooling, and a Noctua air cooler for the CPU, haven't had any noise issues, However the biggest noise maker for a computer is the power supply being used, watch these especially lower end units I have come across several which make a plasma TV look like your best friend. Next are controllers for led lighting systems a few of them produce RFI hash as well.