Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Competitive SO2R Contesting Effort with Flex 6600M?

Options
Al Dewey
Al Dewey Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am leaning towards purchasing a Flex 6600M around the time of Dayton / Xenia, 2018.  My main interest is as a serious S02R Contesting Radio.  I know that the 6600Ms are just starting to ship now but I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried a serious SO2R contesting effort yet with the 6600M?  If so, how did it go as compared to a more traditional SO2R experience with two separate radios?  

Al, K0AD

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    From what I hear,,it's like cheating, out rages performance.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Just a consideration- using two radios offers the advantage of much greater station flexibility, allowing you to operate SO2R, M/S, and M2 should you ever want to enter such categories.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    Options
    At ~2x the expense.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    2x the expense of what? He could get 2x6400M.

Anyone who is thinking SO2R is presumed a serious contester. This is a skill that takes a long time to master. This is a huge investment in time.

Furthermore, a serious contester presumes serious antennas, likely much more expensive than the radio itself. I just did back of a napkin math and found out that the wire used for the radials of my vertical antennas is more than the price of a 6600!

What I am getting at is that flexibility and redundancy do matter to serious contesters. The math is a lot more complicated.
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

I have only had a used 6300 for about a month and I can say, after a couple of casual contest operations on RTTY and Phone, having SO2R capabilities with a Flex 6600 would be an unfair advantage.
    Even the old 6300 is one heck of a contest radio. I plan on getting a 6600 later on this year just for SO2R contesting.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    not an unfair advantage, a legal and fair winning advantage.
    http://3830scores.com/showrumor.php?arg=PbatzpiaamsqX
    3rd place world SO/A HP ARRL roundup.
    6600-M 
    SO2R
    PGXL in test.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.