Competitive SO2R Contesting Effort with Flex 6600M?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I am leaning towards purchasing a Flex 6600M around the time of Dayton / Xenia, 2018.  My main interest is as a serious S02R Contesting Radio.  I know that the 6600Ms are just starting to ship now but I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried a serious SO2R contesting effort yet with the 6600M?  If so, how did it go as compared to a more traditional SO2R experience with two separate radios?  

Al, K0AD
Photo of Al Dewey

Al Dewey

• 35 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2501 Posts
  • 564 Reply Likes
From what I hear,,it's like cheating, out rages performance.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 316 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Just a consideration- using two radios offers the advantage of much greater station flexibility, allowing you to operate SO2R, M/S, and M2 should you ever want to enter such categories.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3454 Reply Likes
At ~2x the expense.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 316 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
2x the expense of what? He could get 2x6400M.

Anyone who is thinking SO2R is presumed a serious contester. This is a skill that takes a long time to master. This is a huge investment in time.

Furthermore, a serious contester presumes serious antennas, likely much more expensive than the radio itself. I just did back of a napkin math and found out that the wire used for the radials of my vertical antennas is more than the price of a 6600!

What I am getting at is that flexibility and redundancy do matter to serious contesters. The math is a lot more complicated.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill English

Bill English

• 73 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

I have only had a used 6300 for about a month and I can say, after a couple of casual contest operations on RTTY and Phone, having SO2R capabilities with a Flex 6600 would be an unfair advantage.
Even the old 6300 is one heck of a contest radio. I plan on getting a 6600 later on this year just for SO2R contesting.

Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 802 Posts
  • 214 Reply Likes
not an unfair advantage, a legal and fair winning advantage.
http://3830scores.com/showrumor.php?arg=PbatzpiaamsqX
3rd place world SO/A HP ARRL roundup.
6600-M 
SO2R
PGXL in test.