Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Community group feature addition

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
What would be the possibility of adding a way to be selective about the posts we see in the community?  It would be great to select by subject. And yeah, I'm talking about the January doldrums. It would make the place so much nicer, and less repetitive.

Comments

• Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I'd like to be able to block comments from a few of the folks who tend to post negative, goading comments again and again.  I'm also a member of the Elecraft reflector, where similar behavior would get someone kicked off very quickly. 

I'd also like to encourage Flex to be more aggressive in moderating the forum and kicking off the users who continue to post annoying, morale-reducing comments again and again.  Life is too short for that kind of stuff, and while the comments don't get under my skin, I can imagine them getting under the skin of those working hard to make my rig better, and so I think the offenders need to be politely shown the door. 

I want the forum to be a place where Flex engineers enjoy reading the community comments and feedback, not a place where they have to deal with constant insults and attacks.  There will always be disagreements and differing priorities, and most people handle that kind of thing respectfully and constructively.  Those who don't need to find somewhere else to make mischief. 

There's just no reason for that kind of antisocial behavior, and it would not be tolerated in most forums. 

Matt NQ6N

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    2 words, Atlas Shrugged. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Correct Matt
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have never understood why the Community forum is done in the way that it is. I, like some others, find it a chore to see the posts I want to see. 

I would love to see the board moved to something like phpBB. If that was done, there could be as many topic types as the board needs, e.g. General, Expert Amps, SSDR Versions and so on.

I have some experience with setting up a phpBB board and the set up and Admin are very easy and quick, a board can be up and running in 30 minutes. I would happily do it if Flex didn't want to do themselves.

Tim
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I don't want the people who either hate SSDR or just enjoy trolling to not have their say. There are a lot of topics in here where I end up typing, then deleting a response to yet another person who is threating to buy a 7610 because SSDR doesn't have a squelch. 

The problem I see is that when second or third guessing yourself, you end up not posting very much at all. If there was just an option to right click and the topic disappears, the dissatisfied and those who want to argue with them can have their version of internet fun.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What's this squelch thing you talk about? I don't miss it. 100% agree with you Michael, then those some people go on other site and spew the same garbage. My only gripe is Flex doesn't have a mobile rig, yet! 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I think  this forum setup is just fine, I like being able to talk to people in real time and not waiting for emails.
    This is an open space for thought, good or bad,,,maybe if we just edit what we read?
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Maestro wifi connected to a smartphone to your home 6xxx series server is a cheap way to go. No issues and expenses related to setting up a good mobile.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    phpBB would be welcome. I don't see an import into phpBB from Get Satisfaction so some customer code likely would have to be written. I've done a lot of work with phpBB.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Agreed Rory - I've only ever used a squelch once in the 20 years I've been an amateur.

Now as for a mobile rig - I would hope we'd only use it while stationary. I'm too addicted to a waterfall! I have a Kenwood 480, and like it, but now you've given me ideas...... 8^)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I like the idea of a Forum FB. I'd just like to be able to have the ability to not have to see some of the threads without bothering the people who like those type threads.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I wonder what the advantage would be in having a direct sampling mobile radio?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I really don't know of any, but might try sometime. I do like my TS-480 for certain, as KenWood managed to make a radio with decent menus. Would a Flex be better?  maybe not, bit ot would look awesome.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You know if they can make a dare I say it a KX3 like radio that would be really cool. VE3CKO, remote is cool but operating on site with bent bedspring and battery power might be fun. SOTA?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Doggone it. Now I'm thinking about Mounting my Flex in the trunk, installing a little router  and dash mounting my 10 in  Windows tablet. I tried it to see how it would work, and it wasn't too bad with the touch screen. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2019
    I have mine in a storage bay in the RV right now with a ethernet line going to my Maestro on a table in the RV. I had a router up in the RV but got too much delay. I was thinking of installing the router right next to radio and see if that didn't reduce the delay so I could put in a small switch to run logging program etc. on the computer.
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Bill,

With a board similar to phpBB, you don't wait for emails, the board is live all the time. If you post something then as soon as the server has received your post, anyone else can comment on it. No emails are involved.

It would be similar to the way this works EXCEPT that things are much more ordered and much much easier to navigate through.

Tim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.