Com ports dropped from SDR CAT

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
I have seen numerous threads with similar scenarios to what happened to me yesterday. (I am running the latest version of SDR). I was running my 6400M with WSJT-X on Friday morning with everything humming.  Came back in the evening and neither HRD or WSJT-X had CAT control.  Seems SDR CAT had dropped all of my COM ports for WSJT-X and DM780.  Eventually figured out what happened and added new COM ports. (I had been thinking I was going to have to open a ticket on this problem.) The original COM ports were 6 and 7.  Now I am using 8 and 9.  Device manager shows the lower COM ports are OK but CAT couldn't find it.  I assume they were marked as reserved.  Got Arbiter Setter (found a thread about it on this forum) and unmarked 6 and 7.  Everything seems to be working again.  Was my approach the preferred one?  I suppose I could have used Arbiter Setter and then SDR CAT would have found COM 6 and 7 rather than starting with 8 and 9, but didn't find the program till after.  Anyway everything is fine now. 
 de Roger W6VZV
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 263 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Andy

Andy

• 84 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Very interesting. I had my logging program working all day Fri and PSK 31 receiveing just fine. Got late so I shut the 6400M off and the pc off and went to bed. 
This am after doing the morning chores I tried to get all on and working. NOTHING. 
Lost CAT control of the 6400M and PSK 31 was not seeing anything. Lots of issues here.
Andy...W3LI
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 263 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Andy, for me it was easy to fix.  Just re-create COM ports in SDR-CAT.  You'll need a TCP Port (such as mine, which is 5002) and a PTT port.  The program Arbiter Setter can clear the lower COM ports that you lost although you don't need to do that to get up and running again.
 de Roger W6VZV
(Edited)
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 445 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I was also experiencing com port stability issues also. The solution was to clean up the windows Registry and reset the cat to eliminate unused com ports. Fixing the com port Registry in windows eliminated any com port and comport config issues that conflicted with SDR CAT com ports. I have had more then a years operation with no problems. Tool I used for Windows maintenance is called Clean my PC. Only had to use the CAT reset once.
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 263 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Good info Pat.  I've heard of "Clean My PC" but never used it.  I will look into it.
de Roger W6VZV
Photo of Andy

Andy

• 84 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thank you very much guys. Where do I find "clean my PC" ? Also Arbiter Setter ?
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 183 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Google is your friend:  http://www.registry-cleaner.net/  At least I belive it's this. Several reg clean tools for free. I have used Avast both for anti-virus and cleaning, actually paid for it. Been great, might be worth looking at?
(Edited)