Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cheap Windows tablet runs SmartSDR

Doug Hall
Doug Hall Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just an FYI... I needed a cheap and small Windows computer for some experiments I was doing. I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Fusion5-Ultra-Design-Tablet/dp/B00YCX7SGU for $160 including shipping. It's a 10" tablet with Windows 10, and I was pleased to find that it also runs SmartSDR just fine. I can sit on the back porch and operate my Flex-6300 with it via my WiFi network.
Doug K4DSP

Comments

• Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Thank You for the heads up, I just ordered one.
  • Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Cool! For as long as I have had the FlexRadio@yahoogroups.com, I have not had (made) the time to set up remote ops.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good tip, thanks Doug! 
    This tablet is also available in the UK Amazon store for GBP120 which is just about the same! 

David G4NRT
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Does not have any knobs. however it is $1,039 less than a Maestro and has other functions.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Looks like you found a good one! I'm amazed at the low cost of so many of these tablets. This isn't much more than the cost of a Windows license to many OEMs. I wonder how they make any money? Peter K1PGV
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ah... To follow-up on my own post on the cost of these tablets, and how they can cover the Windows licens cost: 10.1" is the "breaking point" for special OEM pricing. This size gets a super low cost from MSFT (think $15). And,it's been publicly announced that screens less than 9" get no cost Windows licenses. So, 10.1" is a magic size when looking for a tablet! Peter K1PGV
  • Giulio
    Giulio Member
    edited September 2016
    Great! Please post a video on youtube! Giulio IZ3EAW
  • Jerry W4UK
    Jerry W4UK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

For a few dollars more you get a 11.6" screen and detachable keyboard, and it is at your local WalMart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/47055697?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034893436&wl0=&wl1=...

You can attach the keyboard if needed. I have one of these and it runs SmartSDR just fine.

I have SSDR, MMTTY,and DAX running on it right now and they total about 25% CPU utilization with one slice. Takes about 50% total for four slices

Jerry W4UK

• Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Do these tablet computers have built in microphones usable on voice modes?

Mike W9OJ
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Mike,
    The tablet I bought has a built-in mic. I worked some locals on 75m last night and they said it sounded OK but lacked low-end response. I didn't try fiddling with the TX EQ, but it might be possible to improve it with some adjustments there. In any case, it does work using the built-in mic. A bluetooth headset might be better.
    Doug K4DSP
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    And there is a good chance I will receive it from Amazon. I ordered a Maestro at Dayton this year. Never got a call that It was going to be shipped and to pay for it. I for one have decided not to buy it when they (if they ever do) call me.
  • Mike Aust
    Mike Aust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Got an Acer Aspire Switch 10, plays as a tablet or as a netbook, your choice. Runs SmartSDR V1.8.4, Runs CW Skimmer 10inch screen as well ( can run more than one CW Skimmer  ! ), SDR-Bridge, DDUtil, Write-log, has Window 10 with "Touchscreen" so plays like an iPad, detachable Keyboard, etc for $199 from Amazon, Same Atom Quad-Core with 32GB storage with 2GB RAM as the $160 Tablet mentioned above, with Bluetooth, 802.11, 1 USB keyboard side & 1 micro USB on tablet side, etc but with detachable keyboard built-in mic  12 hr internal battery, the keyboard acts as a stands and is reversable so that it  can sit on top of Flex-Radio a well, really cool !
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Switch-SW3-013-1566-Tablet/dp/B015JJNF8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...
    73 Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.