Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Changing CW speed default

W4TMW
W4TMW Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
R.E. F6300 -
Is there a way to set the cw speed to a new default without going to the 'Profiles' menu? Mine always defaults to 30 wpm.  Tnx Tom

Answers

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I would prefer cw speed to remain wherever I leave it and never change unless I do it. I don't see any point of having different speeds per band etc. It does cause problems.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    That's a good point Steve. There seem to be several things that seem to change on a whim. My bugbear is the tuning power limit that is (supposedly) set in the transmit tab but changes almost daily.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    When I first boot up I often get an extra slice flag and have to close it. Been that way from day one. Never know when it's going to happen. 
    Some things shouldn't be in the "profile" such as volume levels. I keep getting blasted because I created the profile with a different speaker or something. I just want the volume to stay like it is. 
  • W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    R.E. F6300

Steve, interesting you mention that......I notice the same thing (add'l slice) every once in a while from out of the blue.  Tom W4TMW
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Ha, I thought I was the only one who got various different setups and slices upon boot up. I get multiple slices almost every start up.
    Wrote a question about that and didn't get a reply.
    Figured it was just my system.
    I 'rarely' get just one slice, and most times at least one that actually shows the whole band, not just the mode portion I selected.

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I bet it happens to all of us but nobody has said anything until  now. Perhaps someone skilled in jargon should write a complaint.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    This may be only related to the 6300.
    My 6700 only change speed when I decide to change it.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    You mean you can't save cw speed in the profiles? That seems to be the problem. 
    Let's say you're feeling frisky one day and have cw set for 35 wpm and for some reason save it to your profile. The next day you feel down and out, hear a guy calling CQ at 10 wpm and decide to answer. You hit the paddle and out comes this torrid of QLF. Woops....You forgot to slow it down so you do and then the next day the same thing happens all because you forgot to change the profile.
    Anyway....I just don't see much point in having this in the profile. I don't think it's related to any particular  model.  73
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I also ran into the speed change scenario where I would set it up or down for one QSO and forget to go back to my default.   In order to QUICKLY get back to my default speed I programmed one of the FlexControl buttons to execute a DDUtil macro.   The macro ZZVS020; sets it back to 20 WPM.   This only works if your FlexControl is under DDUtil control.    

This won't stop me from making the mistake but it makes recovering faster than messing with the keyer speed slider or entering the speed via the keyboard......

In my case I have the middle button controlled by TkSw2 programmed to set the speed.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I see that several of you are having issue with the CW speed changing, but I do not see a description on how to replicate or reproduce the issue; only that it happens.  I'll be more than happy to enter a defect for this and push for an expedited fix, but unless I have some sort of way to reproduce the fault behavior, finding a fix is a serious challenge.  Can anyone describe how to reproduce the issue reliably?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Add me in to the extra slice list. It was happening a lot recently (like every boot) but seems to have abated somewhat.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    I have a 6700 and I am running SmartSDR 1.3.8. The extra slice issue only happens for me at startup of the radio from the powered-down condition. I have learned to immediately select a profile that I have set up for the band of interest. I have only experienced this problem since updating to 1.3.8.

Ed, K0KC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.