Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Changed Frequency while talking and reciever opened up in transmit

Dale KB5VE
Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭

Mike K5UX and myself were talking and Mike accidently moved frequency with his mouse while he transmitted. I went to duplicate this condition and when I keyed the Mic and talked I moved the frequency up 500 cycles and  it moved  the receiver immediately opened up and my audio was coming out of the headphones and the s meter which is normally on zero when in transmit showed a 30 over signal which the meter matched my audio, I duplicated this again and K5UX did it also.The receiver is going active while the transmitter is keyed. while you are talking. this should not happen. To me this could cause harm to the receiver and with people using a mouse to control I see this happening a lot.

Anybody have this happen.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This defect has been addressed in SmartSDR v1.2
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I was just going to post about this myself. It happened to me this evening...I hurriedly dragged my offset slice to a split and hit the PTT a little too quickly, while it was still moving, and my receiver stayed active until I let up on the PTT. It has happened a few times in the past few months, but I never was able to isolate the cause until tonight. It looks like the Flex crew are already on it. Yet another reason that I am counting the days until the end of the month!
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited June 2020
    Incidentally, it will not hurt your receiver, but as Tim says we addressed this early on in the v1.2 development.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    This behavior is the definition of QSK  aka full duplex, exactly what the radio was designed to do.  In ham radio when using transceivers we have become used to calling fast half duplex QSK, but in reality the Flex line is the only transceiver that I know of that is truly capable of full duplex with the appropriate antenna pathways.   In the days of ship to shore and commercial circuits, transmitter plants were often miles from receiver locations.  Both were always on.  The transmitter was controlled by a key at the receive location.  This was the original definition of QSK.  The idea was when sending traffic if the transmitting station faded (QSB) the receiver could immediately stop transmission by hitting his key before you wasted 5 minutes sending stuff that didn't get copied.  On phone its a distraction but on CW it's a feature!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve, hasn't it been discussed to have an option to actually use this feature, with some attenuation, as an alternative transmit monitor for SSB?  I seem to remember something about this.  

It would be interesting to be able to listen to my actual transmitted signal.  It would help me correct my occasional habit of getting off of the footswitch a syllable too soon when calling in a pileup!  What would be the latency in such a set-up?
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Well it is certainly possible to do what you suggest, but what we generally do is run fairly sharp transmit filters so you are a good neighbor (think latency).  This, on top of other processing, will put your audio in the "jam" range where your brain loses the capability to operate if you listen to yourself (140-200ms).  Most people find that they cannot speak clearly and often stutter, etc. with this level of delay.  My good friend Jim Reese used to work in broadcast radio and would play this game with the DJ's for fun where he would set the delay in this area for their headphones and watch them fumble the ball -- it's just hard to talk!

The MON that you have taps the audio after the shaping in the codec but before the processing in the radio.  So it's not "exactly" what is going out on the air, but the delay is very small and you can listen to yourself.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi HI!
    I have experienced that while monitoring my 6500 on my 1500.  It made me sound like an idiot!  (Others would say that wasn't the latency?)  

Trip down memory lane...Back in the 80's I was in Dallas and the W5FC repeater had a delay chip that eliminated the squelch tail.  Guys would walk up behind someone talking on their HT at a public event and turn their HT up behind them while they were talking and it messed them up.  Great fun!
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Yes I remember it well. 146.88 +. RC-850 + analog bucket brigade chip
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I was there 1981-85 at Perkins School of Theology, SMU. My call was WB9OAG. I didn't think you were old enough to have experienced the .88 machine in those days!
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    I was licensed in 1978 in Plano (WD5EMG) when I was 12. Many good memories going down to the sidewalk sale on 1st Saturday when I was in high school in the early 80s. That's when the sale was ham equipment ... then it morphed into a computer sale over the years. I spent a lot more time on 147.18, but we had the same repeater controller so I'm very familiar with the hardware. I did a lot of programming on the .18 machine with fellow Flexer, Steve WS5W (then WB5SGN). Steve, Fred (WD5ERD) and I would do transmitter hunts and go down to Henderson's Chicken in Dallas and get great fried chicken and soggy fries at midnight on a Friday night.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Steve said, "The MON that you have taps the audio after the shaping in the codec but before the processing in the radio.  So it's not "exactly" what is going out on the air, but the delay is very small and you can listen to yourself."

I would like "exactly" what is going out over the air to monitor audio with True Audio RTA software. The delay is not that important, as I can visually "see" TX audio after all processing on another monitor.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve, I must have talked to you in those days.  I remember a young teen that used to come on the repeater from Plano and talk with some of us at night.  You were trying to find a way to get a mobile antenna up on your gutter or something like that?  

Boy, the Sidewalk Sale at ECI was the bomb.  as well as the Swap Shop Net on another repeater.  (.82?)  I horse traded a lot of ham gear in those days!  

I used to hang out with KK5B, KD5BH, and a bunch of the guys from the Dallas County RACES net.  I was  115DL, if I remember right, on the Spotter's net, operating from 35M on the Mapsco Map. Long time ago memories!  
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Oh gosh, yes I remember MAPSCO coordinates for spotters.  I ran a service called SkyAlert where I grabbed the tones off the air from the NWS and then paged people with weather alerts on Alpha pagers.  I wrote the software myself and ran it on a PC in my house.  I'm sure it was the first program that did anything like that in the paging business.  I had folks on many of the local news agencies on my service and lots of hams.  This was pre-Internet of course.  I don't recall the antenna on the gutter -- probably not me.

I won a door prize at a Plano Klub meeting when I was 13 or so that was a computer board.  I think everyone was aggravated that a kid won it, but I put it to good use.  I wrote my first piece of software for money when I was 12 or 13 -- I wrote a contest log de-dupe program for an AIM-65 for N5JB for $15.  I really liked that computer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.