Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Change over to New Radio - Easy Peasy

Options
Gary Wise
Gary Wise Member ✭✭
Dear Friends,

I received my new Flex 6600 on Thursday, February 1st, and took it up to the shack the next day.  I paid full price for the radio, and will send Flex my 6500 for a trade-in credit (actually, it has already been shipped). I did not want to be without a radio (for Bouvet, etc).  Hence I was able to take this photo:

Out with the old and in with the new!

I downloaded the new Version 2 software and installed it on my shack PC. The only issue was that the Version 2 CAT software came up looking for my old 6500 radio (it said "Radio Not Connected").  Clicking on the "Radio Not Connected" prompt enabled CAT to find the new radio and all was well.  SmartSDR connected and the radio was working.

Here is a Front Panel View:

Next was to setup my Maestro. It found the new radio and noted that it needed to be upgraded to V2 Maestro software.  The update was uneventful and soon my Maestro was alive:

Here is an overall view of the Hamshack operating position.  Note that I have DDUTIL installed to control my Elecraft KAT-500 and KPA-500.  DDUTIL had no problem interfacing to the new radio.  I use DX Lab Suite Logging software - and it too found the new radio with no problem.

Not shown here is my Remote Station using Team Viewer to access my shack PC and SmartSDR V2 to access the new 6600.  It setup without a hitch.  No more Raspberry Pi running a Softether VPN server.  It just works!

A BIG Thank You to the Flex team for a job well done!

Now I just need to figure out all these new features!  Bouvet here I come!

Gary - W4EEY

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Congrats for your new station, Gary!
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures.

I would keep the R-Pi Softether VPN server running.  It is a good backup solution that takes next to no resources.  It also provides the ability to use DAX for digital programs remotely which SmartLink currently does not support.
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Bouvet has been cancelled by ship Captain. Ship headed back to port. Bad weather and mechanical failures. At least you have a nice radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.