Change from PSDR to SSDR, what can I remove?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
My new 6300 arrives soon, I was using a 3000. I notice I've got all this software I had to use for PSDR, do I need to keep any of it? Things like: Virtual Audio cable, vspMgr, and of course, PowerSDR. Is one of those the software that created all the virtual serial ports that we used with PSDR? I don't recall what that one was called. Do I need any of that with SSDR?
Photo of Dave KD5FX

Dave KD5FX

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 654 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Dave,

Welcome to SSDR. I'm sure you will enjoy your 6300. You can probably get rid of all the things you mentioned unless you plan to continue using your 3000. One thing I would recommend if you remove vspmgr is to first delete all of your virtual ports and reboot before uninstalling the application. Uninstalling VSP applications does not always remove the ports and getting rid of them after the fact can be a problem. All of your other supporting programs like loggers, digital...etc can stay for use with your new radio.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Simple answer is no you don't need any of it....BUT   I would not be a problem if you just left it there either...who knows....at some time you may want another 3000 as a backup....
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
I totally disagree with N0SNX

Remove VAC

Remove VSP

Both may cause u unexpected and unwanted conflicts

Or better yet create a completely clean system and start from scratch.

That way u won't have surprises
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4083 Posts
  • 1276 Reply Likes
I go along with Jon - KF2E.  IF your are getting rid of your 3000 and won't need PowerSDR any more.  If you are going to need it, then you can get rid of VSPManager, com0com, or other virtual serial port managers.  His procedure is sound as well...use the serial port manager to clear the ports, THEN remove the program and reboot.  Do all of that before you install SmartSDR.  Then you can use SDRCAT to create any serial port pairs that you need for both the 6300 and the 3000.  

Virtual audio ports, however, are another matter.  If you plan to keep your 3000 and use digital/soundcard modes, then you will still need VAC or some other virtual sound card driver.

For safety, I might go along with Howard, KY6LA in that you might remove VAC as well until you are sure you have the 6300 running properly, THEN reinstall VAC for the 3000 and see if it breaks anything.  

I am running both on my setup and they get along fine.  Others have had issues.  It is sometimes a smart move to work on one new thing at a time so you know which problem you are chasing if you have issues.

Good luck and have lots of fun!

Ken - NM9P
6500/1500
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
I agree Ken... I have both on my computer and run both without any issues... Many Flex users do this.... 6300/5000