Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT - SLICE CONTROL

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am currently using multiple instances of WSJT-X on different bands at the same time.
Each instance of WSJT-x was set up in its own directory.  I set up a different port pair for each instance so theoretically I should be able to transmit on a specific band when I select that instance

The issue I have is that I cannot assign a specific CAT Port to a Specific Slice. 
Yes each instance has its own CAT AND DAX port and DAX TX is enabled for each instance..

But when I click on a specific instance the radio seems to want to select Slice A to Transmit.. which could be the wrong band.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    That is correct.  In order to ensure compatibility with legacy ham radio apps designed for single or sub-receiver radios that use CAT, we only equate VFO-A to Slice A and VFO-B to Slice B.  These third-party legacy CAT programs do not comprehend or were written to accommodate an 8 receiver / assignable TX radio,  The main issue as you have encountered is TX "focus" as the CAT enabled third-party program is controlling what it thinks is VFO-A to be the transmit frequency unless in a split mode where VFO-B is the transmit frequency.  We cover this in the CAT documentation.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Just making sure I understand this, at this point I'm not interested in TRANSMIT issues but does the same logic apply to a third party program obtaining frequency read out information from a second (or more) slice ?  The third party app would only read Slice A's frequency if more than one slice was open?  

Andy K3UK
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Close....for example I use DXLabs, which does not support the 6700 directly (by API) and probably won't.  But if you have slices A-D open, It will read slice A as VFO A and slice B as VFO B.  There is no interaction with the other slices.  This is one reason why there have been requests to be able to designate the slice label for any open slices.

Greg

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited February 2017
    I wish that there was a workaround for this. I keep getting temporarily banned from hamspots.net because I can't assign a specific CAT port to a specific slice on the 6300, and spots get uploaded under the incorrect ban.

I like leaving one slice up and running on WSJT-X while I peruse/ragchew/SWL on the second panadapater/slice. The operating frequency in WSJT-X will translate to whatever slice is active and set to TX. This is a problem when JTAlert attempts to upload say actual 40 meter spots while I'm listening to a QSO on 80 meters. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    @Howard, how are you liking digital?
  • Mike - N8MSA
    Mike - N8MSA Member
    edited October 2015
    After discussing this with the developers, I manually configure the band of each instance of WSJT-X and I use VOX for keying, especially since WSJT-X versions 1.5 and later will only key the first instance via CAT. There have been requests to the WSJT-X development community for a native 6X00 interface, but I haven't seen any commitment to do that.

Mike - N8MSA
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Would it be possible to clone the CAT program as CAT-B, C, D, E etc and convert all references to VFO A to the other slices using the Flex Lib? The application hooked to the cloned CAT module would think it's talking to VFO-A but actually is talking to the mapped slice. This strategy would allow all third party software to hook to any slice open on the radio.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Anything is possible in software. We will look into this.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Been doing some form of digital or another since 1958.

I like all digital modes except the one that uses non error correcting interrupting continuous waves to transfer intelligence and the human ear to integrate intelligence from the noise.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I wanted to add a plus one to this request. I am not sure what 1.6 might bring to SmartSDR CAT but being able to assigned Slices to specific cloned CAT ports would be a great way to trick programs such as WSPR and WSJT into reading the Frequency info from Slice B, C, etc...
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    And while I am asking.... would it be possible to match the Red X window close behavior of the SmartSDR DAX in SmartSDR CAT? 

With DAX when you click the X to close the window you are actually hiding it but the program reminds open and operational. With CAT, if you click in the red window X it closes the program completely. 
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    An additional "nice to have " feature would be that the "TX" ICON be activated for the slice receiving the CAT transmit command. Say you have 4 JT65 sessions going; One on each of 4 active slices. When one of the JT65 sessions sends a transmit command on the CAT channel the appropriate "TX" ICON would be selected. So JT65 could control the band and content on the radio.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    My CW auto-corrects itself whats wrong with yours Howard???   :-)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @MARK[ I officially stopped working CW when I **** my CW key onto a lead brick and dropoeD it into Lake Ontario the day I passed my Extra and was no longer forced to use CW ever again.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    good reason Howard ... :-)
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    officially? Some agency is keeping records of whether you work CW?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.