Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cat5 direct from Flex 6300 to Windows 7 desktop?

Options
Russ Locke
Russ Locke Member
My router is in another room and no way to run a cat5 cable.  So can I just connect my radio direct to my windows desktop?  I've tried it but the computer does not 'see' the radio.  And, yes, I did a search but none of the posts quite answer my question.

Answers

• W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you’re using WiFi , I would try bridging the connection. Basically you you’re taking your WiFi and connecting your radio . The radio wants IP address:)
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You can connect your Flex directly to your desktop. Just make sure your PC and Flex are set to DHCP (not static). Each will fail to get an IP from a DHCP server so they will fall back to 169.254.0.0/16 addresses.
  • hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Russ,
    Just set your Flex and your PC in the same IP-range (10.0.0.x - 10.0.0.y), buy a cheap UTP switch and plug the flex and the PC into the switch. They will see each other and will start communicating.
    Good luck, Hans PA0HWB
  • Marek Kamiński
    Marek Kamiński Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you want on your PC both Flex and Internet, the LAN solution is recommended by Flex support. I had 2 ETH ports in my PC, one for each application, and had to give it up due to problems with antivirus (blocking the Flex) and with bridging the ports (Win 10 reacted with the BSOD to the idea of bridging two ports). Now it runs on the LAN, and is OK. The one to one only connection (PC <=> Flex) should work nicely, if the PC port has dynamic address allocation (DHCP) enabled.
    BR,
    Marek sp5isz
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    An ethernet cable might be too large, but have you considered running a fiber optic cable?  They are tiny.  They could be run under baseboards or even embedded in the sheetrock.
    73, Bob
  • stu
    stu Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Look for POWERLINE ETHERNET ADAPTERS .. It uses the house wiring to make a lan connection ..
  • Hector XE2K
    Hector XE2K Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Do you understand what this product in Flexradio Shop do ? https://shop.flexradio.com/flexradio-wi-fi-network-bridge/   something That can be the same result, checking for you is that you need a wireless connection to your  Router with WIFI or your WIFi AP, you will need a Switch Gigaport  to connect the 3 devices Computer, Flex and the WIFI BRIDGE , the WIFI Bridge with Ethernet port, the switch will keep a solid gigabit connection Radio to computer and the Bridge will provide only internet to both equipment , one quick check show this inexpensive https://www.amazon.com/DHMXDC-Wireless-N-Extender-Wireless-Repeater/dp/B01JOFIBV6/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2RREUSFIXZIG4&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+ethernet+adapter&qid=1591213694&sprefix=wifi+ethernet%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-15 
    I will prefer  a ubiquiti nano or Loco, little more expensive but will trust more, just be careful with their power supply sometimes generate noise,  I use this system Ubiquiti on 5ghz on the shack to connect the home Wifi 300ft away to provide a solid network in the radio and the Maestro can be used in the house with out problems,  if the cable is a no way this is one of your wireless options,  

For last, did you try to connect your radio to your ethernet por using  a static IP in your radio ( from the same range of your network , mask and gateway ?) and use the wireless port just for the internet?  never try it for that reason the question
    Hector XE2K/AD6D
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Me too.

As suggested by Michael, I use the TP-LInk power wiring adapters. Works well, inexpensive, no RFI,  easy installation. I use them between the router which is in another room and the ham shack PC, which is a low data-rate link, only spotting data. Everything else in the house is on wifi but the hamshack. A switch in the hamshack connects the PC to the flex and the TP-Link adapter. Easy-Peasy.
  • Russ Locke
    Russ Locke Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    OK, lots of good suggestions.  I'm going to look into the powerline ethernet adapter.  That sounds like a great idea.  I'll also check the DHCP solution that Danny suggested.

Russ
    K5FJR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.