3.0.19-CAT Only ONE client! Why isn't station selection automatic?

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
I sort of understand having to select which client controls CAT in a multi-client scenario even though other remote software like RCForb use an "or" function permitting multiple connected clients to control the radio anytime.

However, if only one client/slice is on-line, it would be nice if SmartSDR CAT would connect to that single client automatically.

I run CAT on the main shack PC to control my SteppIR. As far as I can tell, if I close down SmartSDR on the PC and later connect my Maestro from a remote location, CAT will not automatically connect to the Maestro and instead waits for the inactive PC client to return.

As it is, If only a single remote client is active, I have to call my wife at home and ask her to go into CAT on the PC and make the selection for me. If I were to switch to an iPad I'd have to call her again, assuming she's at home. If we're both on the road, my only option would be to use Remote Desktop.

If I missed how this can be setup in the manual, please let me know where it is. If it really isn't a current CAT capability, it sure would save a lot of time and trouble if it were added in the next update.

Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 858 Posts
  • 317 Reply Likes
Bob,

Why not use a USB Cable attached directly to the radio to drive the SteppIR?  I think this would avoid the issue you're having.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Eric,

I use four transceivers for varying purposes. I need the Steppir to follow the current radio of interest, usually the Flex. As a result, CAT drives Ham Radio Deluxe which runs the SteppIR. When I'm in the shack this arrangement helps switch radios quickly with only one mouse click in HRD.

When I'm downstairs or in the RV I leave the HRD arrangement set for the Flex. Then I switch between the Maestro, Laptop or sometimes I try my buddies iPad. That's when CAT automatic switching would be usefull, assuming only one client/slice is connected.

It all worked just great in 2.x without Multi-Client. I'd solve this by going back to 2.x if it allowed me to set the MTU for my hotspot.

Any other ideas would be appreciated Thanks for helping me think this through, Eric.
(Edited)
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 858 Posts
  • 317 Reply Likes
I still might suggest using a USB Cable from the radio to a PC then. You could then use that COM port in HRD similar to the way you are doing it now except it would be Station agnostic.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 508 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Problem with using the USB cable for the StepIR is you lose some functionality.  Like transmit inhibit while the antenna is tuning.  This assumes DDUtil is being used.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I understood that the USB connectors on the 6300 are not enabled. Did that change while I wasn't looking? What would I use, USB A to USB-A or maybe a DB9 to DB9 with a USB converter at one end?
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 856 Posts
  • 316 Reply Likes
Yes, you would have to either wire to a COM port on the PC or have a male to male going to another USB to serial on the computer side.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thanks Eric!