Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cat repair-another Windows update

Sergey KN7K
Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
After many Windows reminders i finally rebooted my PC to let windows to install latest update last night.
MY PC crashed several times today when after I started SSDR.
As a result I see only COM12 and TCP port 5002 at SSDR - all other CAT's are gone.
I do see them in a PC Management but cannot do anything in SSDR.

Does anyone has a reliable/proven method to fix it?
Here is what I see

Thanks
Sergey, KN7K

Answers

• FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Sergey. Try this. Go to  Windows C drive, click on the drive then look for program files.
     open. Then look for Flex  Radio Systems. Click on what version of SDR your using then find smart sdr  then find Smart sdr cat. Right click on it.  Then in the dropdown list you will see restore previous versions. See if that works, If not, I have a few other things you can try. Post your findings for now.   
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
     So  if that did not work, try this. to find the driver do the same as above but find the driver for the version of SDR the worked . Run as administrator and then rt click and uninstall everything except the good Cat driver. Then Simply go back and download and install the last  good working version of SMART SDR  and then uninstall all except the  good Cat driver, keep the Cat driver from the old working version Then download the new version of smart SDR and install. Uninstall all of the old version but keep the old Cat that worked. Then go back to your desktop,   When on your desktop just RT click Smartcat and rename it to the newest version of Smart Sdr your using. Your simply using the new version smart sdr but keeping the old working cat... This worked for me, my cat ports changed a few times when I upgraded to a new version of SDR or sometimes when I get a windows update. This made me nuts. Your simply using the last cat control from the previous version  that worked and it should work just fine with the newest upgrade.  I hope this helps you. And I hope I have explained it correctly as sometimes my mind says one thing and I know what I want to say but, when I'm trying to explain It's a bit harder. I have to go through the steps myself to make sure I'm telling you the correct way. when done, you may need to reboot your pc.  Good luck my friend. 73 FishulaX
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Tried - it says "There are no previous versions available".

Thank you
    Serge
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I tried repair per this article
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205665325-How-to-Repair-the-FlexVSP-Virtual-Serial-Port-Driver, all com ports went away and still did not show up in Computer Management after PC restart. 
    When started SSDR, they all appeared again at Computer Management and still not available at Smart SDR CAT window.
    I can add new ports starting from com14/114, but all com ports 4-13 not available in the CAT window.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    i guess I am lost here - "uninstall everything except the good Cat driver"
    What does that mean and how I can do that?
    Thanks
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have the same problem all my CAT and PTT ports gone, I cannot go into CAT program and use the same old ports I had to create new ones CAT and PTT ports. How does one assign the same old and also delete them. This is second time when I have lost the ports, it's a bit annoying.
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS, I'M NOT YELLING, I TOOK MY CONTACTS OUT AND CANT FIND MY GLASSES. OK, HERE IS THE EASIEST WAY.
      THE FOLLOWING WAS DONE USING WINDOWS 10.
     UNINSTALL ALL SMART SDR COMPLETELY OFF YOUR PC. THAT INCLUDES GOING INTO YOUR DOWNLOADS AND DELETING THE INSTALLS TOO.. NOW, AFTER ALL THAT IS DONE
     GO AND DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE "LAST" WORKING VERSION OF SMART SDR THAT HAD NO CAT ISSUES. THEN DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION OF SMART SDR,. INSTALL IT ALSO. THEN GO TO THE BOTTOM LEFT HAND SIDE OF YOUR SCREEN AND SEE THE LITTLE WINDOWS BOX? CLICK IT. YOU WILL SEE A LINEUP OF ALL YOUR PROGRAMS.IN A STACK ON THE LEFT. .. NOW WITH THESE ICONS YOU CAN RT CLICK ON THEM INDIVIDUALLY AND UNINSTALL THEM, KEEP THE NEWEST VERSIONS OF SMART SDR AND DELETE ALL BUT ((((((KEEP THE OLD VERSION OF CAT))))))). THEN GO ON YOUR DESKTOP RIGHT CLICK ON THE OLD CAT  AND HIT RENAME THE OLD CAT TO THE  NEW VERSION NUMBER. SIMPLE. I'M SURE YOU GET THIS ONE RIGHT.. IT'S ME, I CAN DO IT BUT EXPLAINING IT IS ANOTHER THING. HOPE THIS HELPS. DON;T GET OLD IT SUCKS...... GOOD LUCK LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Before doing that procedure I would open the CAT menu, right-click <REMOVE> and "reset FlexVSP ports".  This will remove all of them and one can add the desired ones.  Suggest a warm-reboot and wait a few minutes after the system comes up after the reset.  
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I removed CAT ports from Computer management and tried John's suggestion with COM Name Arbiter Setter.
    After PC restart and load SSDR , it takes about 20 sec for SmartSDR CAT to show up (probably take time to recreate these ports again)  - the same ports populating in Computer management again and not available in SmartSDR CAT.
    So, I am stuck...
    Opened ticket with Flex.
    Thanks again for offered help.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I got a quick reply from Flex and following procedure fixed the issue I had over weekend

1. "Power on your FLEX-6000
    2. Open SmartSDR CAT and make sure it is connected to your radio.
    3. On the SmartCAT window, place your mouse cursor over the REMOVE button and right mouse click to bring up the Remove Menu options
      Select Reset FlexVSP drivers
    4. Wait about a minute
    5. Then run this procedure:
      https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000504463-Removing-In-Use-Com-Ports-for-Available-Com-Ports
    6. Reboot your PC
    The additional FlexVSP virtual serial ports that were not associated with a CAT port have been removed"

There is a second step of troubleshooting provided in case above would not help to recreate a corrupted CAT file,but it was not necessary in my case.

I am in the process to recreate ports from the beginning, but I do have a screenshots from working date, so I should be up and running in a few min.

Thanks everyone for ideas and Thanks Flex (Ken) for a quick response.
    Sergey, KN7K

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.