Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT problems - Maestro A; 6700 signature; SPE 2K-FA; latest revs

kz1w
kz1w Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
The Maestro and SPE 2K-FA apparently talk both ways preventing being able to adjust the Maestro TX RF power output.  Maestro Po tracks the SPE power setting low = 20w; mid = 40w; high = 60w on the Maestro which leads to too little or too much power output for conditons. Turn the Maestro power out knob and displayed Po moves but immediately resets to 20/40/60 watts tracking the amp power setting.   SPE (Bob @ Linear) was unaware of this and the SPE Manual says to not connect the amp TXD  (data Amp > Maestro).  Ok, disconnected SPE TXD and that fixed the SPE controlling the Maestro power level BUT now the SPE doesn't obey the CAT band commands.  I put a RS232 led bus monitor on the FTDI USB to RS232 output and the Maestro is sending something to the SPE.  I'm guessing now, that since the SPE can't answer it is not handshaking, sequencing or whatever to get CAT data into the SPE.  Not using ALC.  DXlabs on/off makes no difference.

Obviously the Maestro is listening and doing something with RS232 RXD.  Of course, NONE of this is documented in the Maestro docs.  So is there a workaround for this bug/feature? 

So,  USB cabling doc from Flex is incorrect re the SPE.

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Actually the cabling doc is not incorrect. How you are using the amplifier is incorrect.

The power returning to its pre set point is a feature, not a bug. How it’s supposed to work is that you set the drive power from the amp for each band and each power level (low/mid/max). You do this with the side arrow keys on the amp. You will see “PC=xx” on the amp. Once you set this it’s set and forget.

If you would rather have manual control all the way, simply set the CAT type to Kenwood rather than flex.
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The 2K-FA sends the drive power that has been set for each power level and band to the radio.   This can be set by the operator to any value you want.   I had mine set to 10, 20, 40 watts, which yielded about a 3 db increase each time I changed the power level on the amp.  With my 2K-FA 60 watts would be over drive the amp.
  • KE4G / Dan
    KE4G / Dan Member
    edited March 2018
    Yes, as stated above, this is a feature between the Flex and Expert amps. that reduces the risk of over-driving the Expert.

When you use this feature, it gives you the ability to limit the drive to the amp using preset values, which can be set independently for each band, and each of the three power output levels on the Expert.
    And when you have the amp in stand-by, the Flex will automatically go to full 100 watts out put if you so choose.

Very easy to setup, and to change the drive power on the fly as well.

In the Expert 2K manual, see pages 38 and 39.
    In the Expert 1.3K manual,see pages 39 and 40.

Just a final note: I don't have a Maestro, so  I can't speak to how one might interact with the Expert amp. 

• kz1w
    kz1w Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks to all for the info.  Having mention of the SPE CAT control in the Maestro or USB cable docs would have saved a lot of hassle.

It seems to me a better way for this to work would be for the SPE to set the Maestro Po on band changes and then allow knob control.  Otherwise, fine setting or tests etc require switching to Kenwood mode.  This is among other gripes I have about how the Maestro controls work - still a ways to go in my mind for contest operations.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    When I had the 1.3K I found this system they (SPE) implemented more or less ideal. Set and forget. Not for everyone. I also don't use a Maestro much.

Ria
    N2RJ
  • KE4G / Dan
    KE4G / Dan Member
    edited March 2018
    Hope a little more info will help those new to using a Flex with an Expert amp.
    See the image (click on it to enlarge).
    You don't have to change the Expert to the Kenwood setting to make changes.

As long as you have access to the Expert , or it's "Term" GUI, you can make drive power adjustments on the fly. You should be able to easily make test adjustment to determine what exciter power levels are needed for each band / and the three output levels on the Expert.

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks, I have one out for delivery to me this morning, you just saved me some time.
    But, I am going to try to use the ALC first. I'll slowly creep power output of the 6700 and see if ALC holds it. If ALC does not work properly then I"ll be forced to program each band, yuck.
    Peter

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Don’t use ALC with flex. It doesn’t work properly. This has to do with how SPE uses ALC as power control and not as a safety limit.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ria:
       Thanks, I had read they sorted it out on the 6700 is that not correct?  If not then I am very glad you let me know!
    Peter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.