Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cat problem with SmartSDR v1.10.16

I recently upgraded from SmartSDR v1.9.13 to v1.10.16
I had been successfully using both WSJT-X and FLdigi with the old version using Cat serial port com 4. I am running a Windows 7 machine with a Flex 6500.

While the new version of Cat still creates a virtual port Com4 and even indicates that it is connected to the correct process (WSJT-X or FLdigi), Cat commands are not received by my 6500.  The only way I can get it to work is to (in the CAT interface) remove Com4 and then Add it back in.  After doing so, the CAT commands start working properly, and I am able to operate those applications,

I tried a 'Clean" re-install, and tried creating different ports with no difference in behavior.
manual cat commands from the CAT interface work, just not from the processes.

While this is a work-around, I wonder if there is a bug in the new version?

Answers

• Ron Morgan
    Ron Morgan Member
    edited February 2017
    Same problem here. Two Cat ports, one (COM 4) talking to N1MM and the other (COM 6) talking to MTTY, would not work. I created two new ports and all is well. With this information, I am going to delete and replace to see if this is my fix. AD9I
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    For me, it's not a persistent fix.  If I shut down the system (computer and flex) and restart, I have to again remove and add the Com port from the Cat interface. 
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have the same problem with HRD.... my solution is to close CAT and close HRD then reopen HRD and while it just begins to boot I open the CAT again and if I catch it right HRD will open... I notice also that on the second opening of CAT I get the windoz note that a device opened on a port and gives the name but this does not happen when CAR opens on its iwn
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited May 2018
    Good thought!  I tried just closing Cat and restarting it just after connecting my flex, then connecting to WSJT-X or Fldigi.  That solved my problem.  Easier than removing and then adding the port. 
  • Ray G3XLG
    Ray G3XLG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I had exactly the same problem, this time with N1MM. Deleting the CAT port then recreating it is my work around to get N1MM to respond. I have the 6500 & am using the latest software version1.10.16
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Same problem, same solution. Has worked fine since, even after rebooting my computer.
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    Shucks!  Even after a warm computer restart, I have to re-apply the Cat toggle off and on trick!
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Michael, but is does work after you shut down CAT and restart it correct?
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes!

• Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    It just seems odd that the v1.9.13 Cat did not require this work-around.  Oh well, could be a combo of windoze updates and cat updates.

-Mike
  • Joe - N7IV
    Joe - N7IV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Well this is strange.  I had the same CAT problem after installing 1.10.16 (no communication with N1MM) so I turned off N1MM and asked CAT to log the port of interest.  Then turned N1MM back on and now it is magically working.  Now I'll shut everything down, bring it up again and see if the fix is still in place
  • Joe - N7IV
    Joe - N7IV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well, wonders never end.  I shut everything down and now N1MM and CAT are the best of friends.  The fix still works with both SDR and the Maestro.  Strange indeed.
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    Sadly that fix doesn't work for me.  I still have to close CAT and then re-open it before SDR can talk with WSJT-x or FLdigi after bootup.  Log shows nada until I do the toggle, and then everything works perfectly. The next morning I have to do the same again.No biggie but a bit annoying.
    -Mike
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Sorry jump in and hijack but since we are talking about digital modes I have a quick question, when running JT65 are you all running with AGC turned off and all other filters off too?

BTW when I did my upgrade I had no problems with my CAT ports. I run a windows 8.1 Pro install 64 bit on a Lenovo M90 desktop. 
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    I run DigiU, agc medium.  Only filters are occasionally noise blanker and sometimes notch filter if strong carrier in the audio sub-band.  if the carrier is near the lower or upper end of the band I sometimes crank down the Digiu bandwidth. 

I'm running windoze 7 Pro 64 bit on a home brew computer, but i'm thinking that the CAT problem has something to do with the order in which apps are auto-started by my operating system.

-Mike
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    I think the CAT problem is an auto-start issue because if I disable the cat auto-start in msconfig, and then manually start it just before starting SDR, all works fine.
    -Mike
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    Here is the $64k question.  Does your PC boot from a solid-state drive?  if so, then the PC is probably booting up faster than the FlexVSP driver can fully load and initialize the virtual com ports.
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    Yup!  I'm booting from an SSD.  So that be the problem
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2017
    Ding, ding, ding ding, ding.  We have a winner.
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    So what is the solution/work around Tim?
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited February 2017
    If the computer boots from SSD it breaks SmartCAT? Is this something new?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2017
    Dave - the easiest thing to do is remove the CAT app shortcut from the Windows Startup folder and load the application manually or, just stop and restart CAT before you start up SmartSDR

Kevin - no, it isn't, but the new driver does seem to take a little longer to fully initialize.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I also boot from SSD and autoload CAT and DAX never a problem.
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tim,
    Good to know and thanks for insight and help!! I know we all appreciate it.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2017
    Rory - YMMV
  • Michael N6BRP
    Michael N6BRP Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Tim

• Paul M
    Paul M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I am wondering if this is the same issue that I reported on another thread.  I am traveling so I cannot test out but this sound similar to my issue with N1MM+.  It is only with N1MM+ and not with any other 3rd party program that uses CAT.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    It is worth investigating.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.