Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT ports all dead, yellow triangles on device manager even after deleted

Larry Loen  WO7R
Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
Just before CQ WW RTTY, naturally, my COM ports, all of them, seem to have crapped out.  They show up with yellow triangles, so it isn't exactly and entirely the "hidden port" problem, but is very similar in appearance, but doing the "delete hidden ports trick" hasn't worked.

Here's what I have done so far:

1.  Upgraded from 1.6.7 to 1.9.9.
2.  Deleted all the ports from the SDR CAT program except TCP port 5002.  Nothing changes, except I can't create anything new, even after reboot.
2.  Deleted the "visible" virtual SDR created ports with the yellow triangles.
3.  Ran the "hidden" port deletion procedure, with not much to do, though a few were left around.
4.  Somehow discovered, under "other devices" something called "Fabula" ports in the same range as the COMx ports I had.  Deleted those.  They do not appear.

So, I think I have deleted everything I dare, with or without being 'hidden'.  The remaining COM ports (I have some actual COM in the machine) now look normal as far as I can tell and they don't overlap the Flex range anyway.

SDR CAT will only let me even try to create COM4: throughout, but it always fails to create, whether under my "local" user or under my "admin" user. 

Anyone seen this?  How do I get out of this hole?

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    After every uninstall you need to make sure you reboot the computer and check to see if they actually got deleted.  Then reboot after a re-install.

I did an undelete and re-install without rebooting in between and had a lot of grief...

1) as a first step, you might find FlexVSP in your programs folder and click "repair" or "Reinstall"

2) If that doesn't help...You might want to export your profiles, do a COMPLETE uninstall and cleanse of the SSDR and VSP...reboot...check for Phantom and Ghost ports (audio and COM) ,,, reboot again if you deleted any residuals...then install 1.9.9 and reboot...and reconfigure your CAT ports....Then import your profiles and see if that helps.

You may have already done some of this, but a missed step can sometimes cause problems.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I would open the task manager and stio the Virtual Serial Port Kit Service unless you already have.
    In directory: 
    c:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.9.964-bit DriversVSP

run the .MSI installer as admin.

You'll likely have to reboot to get the VSP kit running again. 

GL and see you on the green keys.

TImPE
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Larry

Ken's comments are solid.  You may also want to get a support case opened at the same time.

Mike

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    We here in our IT dept call those yellow triangles, bangs! Can't wait to get my Flex back from the hospital and try out the latest SSDR software.
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Well, thanks for all the helpful comments.  I took NM9P's advise because I saw it first.  I deleted everything (as far as COMx went, already done), uninstalled everything, including VSP, rebooted, reinstalled 1.9.9, rebooted and was able to recreate my ports.

All seems well; my usual third party apps seem to be running.

I put the blame here on that big, involuntary Windows update, whatever the name of that thing is.

What a mess that thing has caused.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    We have not deployed Win10 yet in our school district but I remember reading that Win 10 Pro N doesn't force auto updates, maybe more in the know can comment.
  • Jim G3YLA
    Jim G3YLA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Similar to Larry's experience, I've just had a Windows 10 moment too; seemed a very bleak outlook, if it helps anyone, here's how I stumbled through it...

Win10 decided to do what seemed like a major update, after which the CAT/DAX ceased to work. No sign of FlexVSP driver loaded. Tried to install manually, but did not complete.

Eventually got it working by completely uninstalling SSDR and reinstalling new version1.9.9 and all is good again. (I did not delete any com ports, by the way, simply reloaded the SSDR)

On restarting, the rig update part stopped part way through with a Smart SDR file transfer error. I clicked ok to try again and it worked through to the end with one auto rig restart.

Win 10 updates not so keen, SSDR updates keep 'em coming Flex, very pleased.
    73 de Jim
    g3yla

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.