Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT Output for Flexradio 6500

Herby
Herby Member
edited July 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hello, I would like to control from my computer (FLDIGI) the Flexradio AND my power amplifier Expert 1.3K by CAT. FLDIGI can control ONE CAT output only.  I currently use it to control the Flexradio.

But HOW do I control the PA that also needs CAT commands to change bands.

Thank for your help, Herby, DB2HTA.

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
  • Herby
    Herby Member
    edited July 2017
    I need a solution in hardware.
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited May 2016
    There is NO hardware solution for the control between de FLEX and the Espert PA. Bohe are working with a software port.  That is why You NEED DDutil.
  • Herby
    Herby Member
    edited May 2016
    Expert PA HAS a Hardware CAT input.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    if you want a single RS-232 port out of a computer to be connected to two devices usiung hardware only, google up . . .

Serial Port Combiners

you will have to make sure the commands and protocols do not cause conflict between the devices, but this is a way for one RS-232 port to send data to other ports at the same time without using any other software on your PC.  

Please read the info for these port sharing boxes so you know how and why the data from the devices are sent back to the PC and how the PC handles it all.  It can be tricky and a bit of work.

oh - and these boxes can get pricey  -  The Black Box company makes them, but so do others.

Good Luck !

• Herby
    Herby Member
    edited May 2016
    CAT / CI-V is not REAL RS-232, it uses TTL level signals (5 V / GND) , NOT +/- 12 Volt.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Herby

I use DDUTIL and my Flex to control an Expert Amp, SteppIR MonstIR, Rotor, LP100A and all my CAT enabled logging and digital programs.

DDUTIL is your friend..read the section on the Expert Amps.  You need a Serial Port and a USB port to control your expert amp

If you do not have enough serial ports on your computer you can use USB ports or an combination of USB ports and USB Hubs.

Suggest you SEARCH this Community for Expert Amps.. we have written extensively how to do this

• Herby
    Herby Member
    edited January 2017
    It is FLDIGI's job to control the rig and the PA for digital transmissions (Olivia, MFSK). I don't think this works with DDUtil.
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited May 2016
    The only hardware of the CAT port is a 15 pin D-sub connector. The FLEX does not know the software commands for the Expert PA.  The Expert PA does not know the software commands from the FLEX.    DDutill does the translation for that.
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited May 2016

FLDIG controls the RIG. The PA is controlled by the RIG through DDutill. That works !!

• Herby
    Herby Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm not so happy to have to install and use YET another program for such a simple job. Only ONE small TTL signal from the Flexradio to the Expert PA ...
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Herby,

RS232, CIV, etc.. for CAT is the old fashion way... you have up to 8 receivers that can send "CAT" commands.... what we need is for manufactures of ham gear to get on the TCP/IP wagon.
    It kind of sucks that I cannot control my Expert 1.3k remotely. I would love to send TCP/IP messages to it.

DDUtil offers a plethora of things for Flex users and once you start using it with AutoDrive, Macros, etc... you will not go back.

DDUtil connects to your Flex through TCP and Expert 1.3k to your PC through USB. You do not need to create a cable to connect Flex and Expert.... I find installing DDUtil easier than creating the cable to connect the amp and the radio.

Good luck... and do not get discouraged, it is a bit of a learning curve but worth the effort.

73s
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

OF COURSE FLDIGI WORKS WITH DDUTIL to control Both the Rig and the PA

I have been using DDUTIL for years  it is the traffic cop and translator between all your devices.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

ONE SMALL TTL SIGNAL

No Computer puts out a TTL signal.   you need a level translator to convert TTL to RS-232

The TTL CIV is an ancient SLOW ICOM Standard

Modern equipment has started to use Ethernet

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I'd like to revisit this topic as well as I am also looking for a hardware solution. My station automation is based on the Hamation product line along with microHam MK2R+ for SO2R. I don't want to run a computer for each radio just for CAT (can I run multiple DDUTIL on the same computer, one for each radio?). Presumably Maestro eliminates the need for a computer so that's another reason I don't want to add one. Any suggestions other than "get a computer"?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You wrote"Presumably Maestro eliminates the need for a computer so that's another reason I don't want to add one".

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Maestro is just that: a computer. It even runs
    Windows, but it is more expensive and not as flexible as a notebook,
    athough it has knobs ;-)

Having said that, I recommend a notebook and DDUtil. That works quite
    well.

73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    One thing that drives me nuts is canned answers that don't really take into consideration the actual ask. So let me restate- I have automated antenna switching, bandpass filter selection, so2r control, etc. HARDWARE that requires HARDWARE CAT from the rigs. The hardware CAT from each radio goes into the microHam so2r controller that does audio switching, CW keyer, FSK modulation, etc. It also outputs BCD data that controls the Hamation bandpass filters and so2r remote switches. The so2r controller also mirrors the CAT data to microHam station masters that do intelligent antenna control on a per band basis (think of it as a replacement for rotators and 4SQ direction selectors). Finally, I have several transceivers and want to be able to run the station regardless of what transceiver is being used. All the station automation hardware is already in place, is flexible, and runs flawlessly during contests. Bottom line is that I need a hardware CAT. If there are no third party solutions, can DDU run multiple instances concurrently? How would I take the output from it and send it out via RS232 as CAT?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    First you do not need all that extra hardware to run SO2R. THE 6000 series is SO2R in a single box. Look at K9CT postings as to how they came first in NA in using Flex as SO2R with no external hardware. Second, I do not understand the use case in a contest of running without a Computer Third take a look at antenna genius and antenna genius from 4O3A. The devices are all ethernet enabled and worked seamlessly with Flex

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.