Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT command received in multiple part from an external APP

Jeff | VA2SS
Jeff | VA2SS Member
edited August 2019 in Maestro
I’m building at the moment a CAT USB to Bluetooth Interface to work with my iPad Pro with the app called RUMlog2GO. So, for the USB part connected to the Flex 6400, I’m sending CAT command from the TX slice at 9600 bauds and the app RUMlog2GO on my iPad is now following the frequency without any issue when I’m turning the Flex VFO. The app is using compatible Kenwood subset CAT commands; I only need to read and write the frequency, and the mode. I am not looking for more at the moment. image My problem is.... subset CAT string received from the FLEX always arrived in 1 part (stream) until the semi-colon at the end of the CAT sentence arrived.... and everything is 100% OK that way. But, the app sometime send the CAT sentence in 2 streams as you can see on the picture. At least, I would like to know WHEN Flex interpret the end of the CAT sentence ??? Should it be only when until the semi-colon arrived at the end of the CAT sentence ??? image This another reason why I also need a debug window on the Maestro needs to be scrolled with my finger. Thanks everyone for your help. I’m working closely with the app developper Tom DL2RUM, so all answers will be forward tp the developper to help us to concretize this project.

Comments

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I Love Breadboard projects.. Nothing like placing all the parts on the board, adding the jumpers, adding in DC Power, turning on the power, and OMG, it WORKS!!!! Thanks for sharing... One reason I selected Flex over say ICOM or Yaesu, is not only the overall COMPLEXITY of the product and SSDR, but the Great Engineers and people here on the community.. At age 70,, and still working,, my wife sometimes reminds me that I might be getting in over my head,, but so far the good lord has blessed me with good health and a good brain!!! :-)

Robert
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    I noticed during a debug session that when I turn the Flex VFO dial, the CAT commands flow and the needed information is sent out ok. image But I change indeed change mode from the Flex, no CAT commands are sent to let external app to switch to another mode..... ??? It is a normal behaviour or I am missing something here ?? See picture of what the Bluetooth interface is receiving.... no trace of the mode change.... but plenty of frequency changes. 73 de Jeff | VA2SS
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    I manually sent CAT command toward the Flex, like IF; and I have only getting a ?; answer from the radio. See picture. image
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The ? indicates a bad command, if you just want the mode and vfo frequency why dont you just use the FA; command for vfo a or FB; for vfo b then for mode use MD; since the flex honors the kenwood ts2000 cat command set?
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The cat command sent or received is always terminated with the semicolon. Therefore you can filter on the semicolon for the end of each command. Note some commands take longer to be processed than others. I have found after sending a cat command it is good to wait 75 to 100 msec to check for the reply but I use polling not data received triggers. You may want to download the kenwood cat pdf manual.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You could also try ZZMD and ZZME for the mode info and set.
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited July 2018
    I know, but why when I was sending command from a serial terminal I was still getting an error??
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited July 2018
    In the Flex ebug window, it was the Flex radio that was giving the ?; answer.... from a command which the syntax was ok....... Again, why when I was manually typing the correct sentence from a terminal program, I was still getting error ??? Thank you very much for your help..... I really want to succeed with this project. 73 de Jeff | VA2SS
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I always test my commands if there is any issue with procomm plus in terminal mode connected to the designated com port that way I can directly type the commands and see the response. Are you sure when u sent the commands they were in all capital letters? Such as ZZIF;
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The ZZIF command contains a lot of returned info so this would be one instance when it will take a longer time to get a response maybe even more than 100 msec. If I get a chance I will try the ZZIF command using procomm plus and see what I get. I have the 6400m. It may be later in the weekend though things are crazy around here right now.
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes of course
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    OK thanks you for your help!!! Greatly appreciated!! I am doing similar here from a terminal window like you do with Procomm
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jeff I didnt have any issues with the md or zzif commands they worked fine for me see screen shots. imageimageimage
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Wayne.... I will try too using SmartCAT just to watch the result.... all my tests were using the Maestro only.... no PC software. I think it could be Maestro related.... thought...
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I think I found the issue jeff as long as you use slice a all is well as soon as you only have slice b zzif no longer works as well as zzas or zzfb it doesnt look like any of the cat commands are working that refer to slice b or vfo b when you only have slice b or vfo b available. Switching using the zzfr command did not have any effect either. zzfj same does not work. Apparently an oversight from flex
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    My setup consist in using the Flex6400 and a Maestro only... no PC at all. The CAT Bluetooth to USB interface is connected directly to a Flex USB port. The Bluetooth interface is talking directly the iPad Pro. So no SmartCAT software on a PC is involved in all my tests. As all my CAT command failed, even the most basic one IF; could it be related to the fact that I am not using any « software » translator needed to interpret such CAT query between the iPad and the Flex or Maestro ????
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have submitted the slice b vfo b issues as a problem for flex to address in the future. I only tried using the sdrcat interface I may try the network interface later but I suspect the result to be the same. I also have app studio 6 and may try an ipad app sometime in the future. Keep me updated on how its going
    My email is kd5spx@gmail.com
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    Greatly appreciated ! I will keep you informed. 73
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    My mistake jeff i had to add another cat com port com port 5 and assign it to slice b to get the vfo b commands to work like they should. Im still learning also.
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    Ok.... I am trying to setup my iPad with an app that send serial command over TCP to SdrCAT port running on a PC just to experiment and watch how it will react to my command.
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    Sending a Serial CAT command from my iPad over TCP to SmartCAT software on port 5002 works.image
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    Sending from my iPad a CAT command over the Bluetooth interface directly to the Flex, without the use to SmartCAT software does not work..... seems to need of a CAT command translator.... image
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    So, how to avoid the use of a PC with SmartCAT to work with a Flex and Maestro and an iPad only ??????
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    So why couldnt you just send the commands from the ipad to the flex using tcp? I guess im confused as to why you would even use bluetooth, or maybe im not seeing the big picture.
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    Because I do not want to use a PC at all..... at first, I was planning to control the Flex over a Bluetooth serial connection like we use to do with standard TRX for years... But since I discovered I cannot talk directly to the Flex from the iPad using tradionnatal « CAT » language over Serial command.... I must figure a way to talk to the Flex in other way. I’m experimenting at the moment sending Text command over TCP directly to Flex TCP port 4992 by using FLEX « language » command syntax. Then I will be able to guide the developper on how to implement the support of the Flex radio to support basic command like QSY, etc... I’m learning every minute at this moment.... Hi Hiiiiiiiiii ‼️
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Oh okay so now your using the api sent to flex by tcp correct? If so thats similiar to the vb6 app I have been developing except im using the program i develop on a conputer and send the commands to the flex by tcp network so basucally the same commands but your sending them directly as text similar to using the free putty program where you can type your text inand send it directly to the flex.

Yes I took a short break from the api while I rearranged my shack but am getting back to it shortly so if you need some api level assistance I am somewhat familiar with some of it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.