CARrier control on Flex-6300

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Hi everyone,
I'm playing with my 6300 only since a few weeks and like it a lot. There's 1 item however that makes we wondering.

The Flex-6300 goes up to 95 Watt out on some bands but only to 85-90 on some others. Isn't there a button or slider somewhere to make sure the finals can produce the 100 Watt out they are supposed to?
I found nothing in the documentation. We OT's are used to having a carrier button on our transceivers.

73, good DX
Gust ON6KE

Photo of Gust ON6KE

Gust ON6KE

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 282 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Hi Gust,

You might need to give 14.5 - 14.8v PSU input to get 100W out on all bands. There is a big volt drop on the power cable, connectors and internal fuses (even with the standard factory cable).

Also, check 100% power out can be achieved in to a good dummy load, using a quality external power meter...just to make sure you don't have antenna problem as the F6k high SWR back-off is a little too sensitive in my opinion.

73 de Steve G1XOW
(Edited)
Photo of Gust ON6KE

Gust ON6KE

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,
I hooked the 6300 to a 1kW wet dummy load, with and without the ATU in the circuit, I makes no difference power wise on any of the bands.

Next I measured the input Voltage before (13.70 V) and after (13.58 V) the fuse. That is a significant difference coming from an of course stabilised 13.8V source.

I can raise voltage to 14.5V or slightly higher but won't give it a try just now, got a lot hooked up to that power supply now. That extra half a Volt might very well make it a full 100 Watt transceiver.  :-)

Cheers
Gust ON6KE
Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 282 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Gust,

There is another fuse internally as well. This means that when you add the series drop of the power-pole connectors, the cable, the external fuse, and internal fuse 13.8v only results in about 13.1-13.2V at the PA. You could also shorten the factory cable but that really should not have been necessary.

I run my PSU at 15Vdc (output at the PSU terminals) and all is fine for over 2 years now. The fan does get a little louder though.

73 de Steve G1XOW
(Edited)
Photo of Gust ON6KE

Gust ON6KE

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I forgot, so I understand there's is no such thing as a CARrier control on the 6300. Of course you don't need it if the end stages are sufficiently broad-banded impedance wise.

PS
They take just about everything away from you these SDR's..
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 335 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Just so there is no confusion SmartSDR does have sliders for RF power, Tune power, and AM carrier levels.
Photo of Gust ON6KE

Gust ON6KE

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes that I know Ross.

Thanks
73, good DX (in these difficult miserable conditions lately)

Gust ON6KE
Photo of HCampbell  WB4IVF

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 170 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Gust -

Your question comes up repeatedly for Flex and other manufacturers’ radios (I’ve seen it in Icom’s and ANAN’s FAQs).   

Check out this thread, and Flex’s official reply:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6500-power

Howard

Photo of Gust ON6KE

Gust ON6KE

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you very much Howard, your input is much appreciated.
Interesting URL.

73, good DX
Gust ON6KE