Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Captive Portal workarounds for Maestro

Options
mikeatthebeach .
mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Anyone have a way to use a Maestro with WiFI at Starbucks, McDonald’s or Coffee Bean places using their WiFi Tried a HooToo Titan Travel Router with its own SSID And worked with my iPad and iphone When I use Maestro I can not login at these places Also at home I can login with Maestro with the Titan on my home LAN WiFi but see no radios Not sure if Port Forwarding in an issue for this Type of Travel Router Wish Flex Radio had a Solution for these Captive Portals Any help or advice 73 Mike

Answers

• Robert Kearbey
    Robert Kearbey Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    When traveling wirth my ipad for the first time the captive portal was a real problem , i turned on personal hotspot on my iphone and connected that way

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Tried that and turned my iPad into a Hotspot as you suggested Entered into Password on the IPad into The Maestro and my ipads name Would not accept the password shown on iPad Tried that no luck I hope solving the Captive Portal Issue On the Maestro is on Flex Radio to do List Got the Maestro for places that seem to Using Splash Screens to use their WiFi and makes the new Maestro useless here Mike
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @Mike - suggestion would be to try it once without a password to see if it all connects, then reinstate your security.

Watch out for special characters in your password, as I've had mixed luck getting my Maestros to hook up consistently if I use them.  YMMV of course.

Sounds like you are close, so persevere and experiment a bit!

GL & 73

Steve
    K9ZW 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You will need a local device with a keyboard and browser (like an i{Phone of iPad) to set up the travel router’s connection to the captive portal WiFi service. The travel router documentation should tell you how to do that. A Maestro by itself will never be enough - you will need something with a keyboard and screen. The Maestro will then connect to the travel router’s private WiFi or Ethernet.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Steve Changing my iPad’s name from Michael’s iPad to just MikesiPad Did the trick with the Maestro and iPad as a Hotspot Guess it does not like ‘ or Spaces in The name of the iPad !!!!!!!! Also, any idea’s of getting around Captive Portal Splash Screens Have a HooToo Travel Titan that allow me To log into hotel wifi’s With Splash Screens And allow other devices to use the HooToo Travel Titan Model HT-TM05 to broadcast it own SSID name Was hoping to use this at Hotels with an iPad or iPhone to get around the Captive Portal Login screen for the Maestro and just Login into the Captive Portal once with The iPhone or IPad or even a small laptop When I try it on the Maestro I can log in But see no radios via the HooToo Titan Traveler that has a router and built in Battery in it ! Not sure if going thru this Travel type of Router does uPNP and if some sort of Port Forwarding is needed to get it to see My Flex6600m Mike
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Ted That what I am trying to do Mike
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I connect with my phone then turn on the phone's wifi hotspot.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Steve Any ways to use WiFI from Starbucks and not chew up You valuable Cellular Data Plan Mike
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have a GL.iNet GL-AR750S travel router. I have connected it to WiFi access points, my Android phone via USB tethering, and to my Android phone as a hotspot - they all work, including bring up my 6600 on my iPad’s iOS SSDR app using SmartLink. I have no Maestro, so cannot try that. The iPad was connected to the travel router’s private WiFi access point, and from there to my cell provider, and also to my local network via NAT. Not exactly the same as your setup, with a Maestro, and not from Starbucks, but the net paths were substantially the same, from the SSDR device to the Flex radio, through the NAT on a travel router, then to either a second WiFi network, or a cellular provided. Worked great in all cases. I think I’ll need to visit the local Starbucks with my iPad and travel router :-)
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Been visiting the various places Starbucks, McDonald’s and Coffee BeaN For Free WiFi to see what can work With a Maestro Mike
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Here’s my complete remote network setup: GL.iNet router, USB power cell, cellphone. Allows me to have WiFi anywhere. And to boot, the travel router does VPN, built-in. Battery appears to be able to run the router for at least a day. image Just adding a comment on the cellphone USB tether: using the cellphone with USB tether allows the cellphone to supply an Internet connection to the travel router, with the cellphone using any combination of WiFi or cell service. If the phone is connected to a local (i.e. free McDonalds, whatever) WiFi access point, that’s what the travel router provides, and otherwise it uses the cell provider. I suspect there could be some degradation as a result of tethering to the phone for WiFI instead of having the router connect directly to the WiFi, but it bypasses the requirement to connect the phone to the router just to deal with the splash screen - that’s done as part of tethering by the phone.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have success at the following locations using my TP-Link Travel router and my phone.

Ethostream internet at Quality inn and Holiday inn.
    Airport WiFi at PIT, PHL (phl sucks but works) SWF, SFO
    Starbucks, Several Bars so far.

TP-Link N300 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router - WiFi Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes, Mobile in Pocket(TL-WR802N)

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Got it work from Starbucks on their free WiFi with the HooToo TripMate Titan Traveler without a Splash Screen See Photo Below Look - No Cellular Service Just the Maestro and the HooToo Titan TripMate Traveler !!!!!!!!! Mike image
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Success !
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Also tested at Hampton Inn Huntsville, AL   PIT Airport again,  Starbucks (Near Hunstville)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.